Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Noise

I have a 2002 150 fx4 that is making a lot of noise in the front end,it sounds like the hum of monster mudder tires.When i turn the wheel to the right while rounding a corner the noise stops until the wheel is straight again.
I did a tire rotation and had a 4 weel alinement last week.
Any ideas what this noise is?
Will a wheel bearing cause this?
Thanks for any imput!
webfoot

Ps this is my first post,I think this site is great!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 AM

it sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. does the noise seem louder if you turn left apposed to right? or is it just noisy driving streight? if you jack up the front there should be no play in the wheel hub when you try to move the wheel up and down side to side. i usually take the wheel off and remove the brake caliper and roter then i try to shake the hub if it moves you need a new wheel bearing. i'm having a simular prob with my 02 it sounds like knobby tires. but i dont want to hijack your post. my wheel bearings checked out ok. good luck.

Last edited by dugdamoose; 03-07-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 AM
3wV

I would have to agree with, moose. The tire could run on it's edge and have less footprint on the ground making noise. I would set a set of stock profiles on the front, round a corner and if the nose was still there, then goes away, it was a bearing off and out of it's cone on the bad wheel. You do not hear that side of the bearing grind into the V cone cage is something to that effect.

Quick Reply: Wheel Noise