Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Wheel adapters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Wheel adapters

I am inquiring about wheel adapters. From what I am seeing if they are the billet aluminum ones that are hub centric and installed correctly (loc-tited and torqued + sitting flush) they should not be a problem. Is this correct? How much more stress do they put on the hubs/ball joints etc? The reason I am asking is the rims I really want for my truck do not come in my bolt pattern and I emailed them about a possible custom bolt pattern but they do not have to ability for those particular rims.

The rims I want are the XD Addicts.

XD Addict 17x9 -12mm offset / 4.53in backspacing

With that offset and backspacing and an adapter, how far out from the fenders would they stick on a '98 F150? What particular bolt pattern would be best or strongest (if any) for the adapter? Who makes the best adapters?

If it is not even worth it to use adapters or they are not a viable option, my second choice are the ATX Artillery's.

ATX Artillery 17x9 -12mm offset / 5.47in backspacing

With that offset and backspacing, how far if at all, would these stick out?

All this information is for a stock height 4x4. I plan on running 295/70R17 Toyo M/T's. I have 305/70R16 Toyo A/T's on the stock rims now and have plenty of clearance left (depends on the new rims offset/backspacing I know). I might crank the torsions slightly, if at all.

I appreciate any help.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't like spacers bolt on or not. Get a wheel with the right bolt pattern. The ATX Force look similar to addicts 10 spoke vs 8 spoke. The adapter would be at least 2" thick more than likely making your -12 offset sit way to far out.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
I don't like spacers bolt on or not. Get a wheel with the right bolt pattern. The ATX Force look similar to addicts 10 spoke vs 8 spoke. The adapter would be at least 2" thick more than likely making your -12 offset sit way to far out.

I was figuring it would stick out too much. At least the Artillery's come in 5x135.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:58 AM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by M Jon R
I was figuring it would stick out too much. At least the Artillery's come in 5x135.
Have them on my truck, love em!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:35 AM

They do look nice. I want the black ones. I plan on having black TAG front & rear bumpers and all black billet '04 - '08 style f150 badges as well w/ a black ford oval on the tailgate + repaint my stock flares black too. All that with black rims I think will look real nice.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I am inquiring about wheel adapters. From what I am seeing if they are the billet aluminum ones that are hub centric and installed correctly (loc-tited and torqued + sitting flush) they should not be a problem. Is this correct? How much more stress do they put on the hubs/ball joints etc? The reason I am asking is the rims I really want for my truck do not come in my bolt pattern and I emailed them about a possible custom bolt pattern but they do not have to ability for those particular rims.

The rims I want are the XD Addicts.

XD Addict 17x9 -12mm offset / 4.53in backspacing

With that offset and backspacing and an adapter, how far out from the fenders would they stick on a '98 F150? What particular bolt pattern would be best or strongest (if any) for the adapter? Who makes the best adapters?

If it is not even worth it to use adapters or they are not a viable option, my second choice are the ATX Artillery's.

ATX Artillery 17x9 -12mm offset / 5.47in backspacing

With that offset and backspacing, how far if at all, would these stick out?

All this information is for a stock height 4x4. I plan on running 295/70R17 Toyo M/T's. I have 305/70R16 Toyo A/T's on the stock rims now and have plenty of clearance left (depends on the new rims offset/backspacing I know). I might crank the torsions slightly, if at all.

I appreciate any help.
Well, adapters are horrible. I got a set because I found cheap wheels on craigslist, so I made them fit, and this is the result:

They where torqued down to 110 ft/lbs with thread locker, and about 30 miles later, a few of the lugs snapped and a couple of them ripped through the aluminum. They are simply a bad idea, just get ones that fit your truck.

I got the 17x9 XD spys with the -12 offset and 4.53 backspacing, they look pretty good. I heard somewhere that is the max amount of backspacing we can have for some reason or another. Below is how they look:

I am on a 5" lift with 35" tires.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Well, adapters are horrible. I got a set because I found cheap wheels on craigslist, so I made them fit, and this is the result: They where torqued down to 110 ft/lbs with thread locker, and about 30 miles later, a few of the lugs snapped and a couple of them ripped through the aluminum. They are simply a bad idea, just get ones that fit your truck. I got the 17x9 XD spys with the -12 offset and 4.53 backspacing, they look pretty good. I heard somewhere that is the max amount of backspacing we can have for some reason or another. Below is how they look: I am on a 5" lift with 35" tires.
I'm assuming those were cheap ones then. I've had a set on with 35s for over a year no problems at all. My buddy has some on his Chevy Rollin on 37s for years not a problem either. Yes spacers aren't the best choice but just like everything else, you can't cheap out on parts you want to last.
Btw: I recommend Bora brand.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Your hubs stubs were not sticking out past the adapter were they?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Well, adapters are horrible. I got a set because I found cheap wheels on craigslist, so I made them fit, and this is the result: They where torqued down to 110 ft/lbs with thread locker, and about 30 miles later, a few of the lugs snapped and a couple of them ripped through the aluminum. They are simply a bad idea, just get ones that fit your truck. I got the 17x9 XD spys with the -12 offset and 4.53 backspacing, they look pretty good. I heard somewhere that is the max amount of backspacing we can have for some reason or another. Below is how they look: I am on a 5" lift with 35" tires.
Thank you!

I don't like blanket sweeping wheel spacers saying you will have a wheel off if you use them, so I just say I don't recommend them. But I'm glad you survived your experience and are able to share from it!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Your hubs stubs were not sticking out past the adapter were they?
No, I had about 1/8" from end of the lug to where the edge of the adapter.

Quick Reply: Wheel adapters