Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

What can i do to make this dog of a V6 more powerfull

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can i do to make this dog of a V6 more powerfull

so i ended up getting the v6 in my truck i was wondering who all makes performance upgrades for this motor if any? What would be the most bang for the buck
Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 AM

Sell it and get the 4.6

Beside that I don't know, sorry

goodluck...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Goldmember

Originally Posted by Zoomz
Sell it and get the 4.6

Beside that I don't know, sorry

goodluck...
+1
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Its a good question, surely there is some knowledge out there other than the wise guys. Best I can offer is to use the tranny to keep the RPM's up. I'll be watching and hopefully learning also.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikeppie
so i ended up getting the v6 in my truck i was wondering who all makes performance upgrades for this motor if any? What would be the most bang for the buck
Well, if you are looking for pure performance, ( go fast fun ) it all depends on how much money you have and are willing to spend. It will go as fast as you are willing to throw money at it. But you're basic bolt on's are cold air intake, tuner and exhaust. Then you can look into gearing ratios, thottle bodies, cams, all sorts of stuff before you start looking at forced induction, porting jobs, ect.....

If you just want a lil more oomph when you hit the gas, go with a few of the above. If you are wanting to hang with a buddies Mustang or similiar, well, you got a lotta work and money ahead of you. Just all depends on what you want and plan to have fun with cuz when it all comes down to it, that's what counts. :-)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give a better idea of your budget...

For example around 12K to 15K you can put forged internals in and a turbo and get that motor up to 500 horsepower or more, and who knows how much tq. With 5K you can have a turbo and put less boost and get it up to 350-400hp probably...unfortunatly I have never turbo'd a truck engine, my knowledge comes from small displacment engines (2.0L).

You can always go with a throttle body, a CAI, set of cams, a set of headers and a free'er flowing exhaust, and that will make a pretty substancial diffrence, but not as much as throwing a turbo, but then again it doesnt cost as much.

If you dont have a electric fan, which im guessing you dont, you could go with one of those too.
Also chenging the gearing in the differential is a good way to make some noticible improvement, no horsepower, but your torque measured at the wheels will go up, and thats what makes you accelerate quick.

With that 5spd, I had a ford focus, and I put a short throw shifter and a racing clutch in it, and it made a world of difference in the feel and the day to day fun of driving that car.

Last edited by Weldman0730; 10-21-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM

i guess i should reword my question i know how to make power im asking what parts are available for this motor such as cams or tb's or intakes or headers, where can i find these performance parts for this motor. also if im gonna do a motor swap ill just go strait for the supercharged 5.4L
Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM

i bought a 4.6L it has lots and lots of power

Quick Reply: What can i do to make this dog of a V6 more powerfull