Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Weird noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise when accelerating

Hey yall, so for the past month or so my 01 F150 supercrew has been making this funny clicking/ticking type noise when accelerating past 40 km/hr. I'm not really sure how to describe the exact sound. Does NOT make the sound when idling and the sound kind of comes and goes. But is extremely annoying. I've taken it to the local Ford dealership and got it checked out, turned out I needed work done on the exhaust manifold, thought that would solve the problem.. $850 later and it still made the noise, than took it too a different mechanic and got him to check it out, looked it over and could not find the problem, finally found something loose (sorry for the bad details, I love trucks but i'm not mechanically inclined). So he tightened it up, I picked it up and test drove it. Problem solved... for about 30 miles. Now its back and I've already been to two different mechanics. It definatly isn't a motor issue, the truck is running great. This noise is driving me insane though. Anyone have this problem before? What could it be?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM

could it be pre-ignition? My F-150 4.6L hates winter gas and will develop a tinkle tinkle noise when accelerating, usually goes away when I reach speed and the load is reduced. Try some dry gas with a methanol base and some higher grade gas ( if you have a favorite gas station? go to somebody different.) This usually works for me.

Good Luck

Walt
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Bad wheel bearing? CV joint? U-joint?

Somebody put a large zip-tie on your drive shaft ?????

My PCV valve used to chatter like a woodpecker on crack. I put on a new one and it's nice and quiet now. It's on the passenger's side valve cover.

Last edited by skizriz; 02-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by skizriz
Bad wheel bearing? CV joint? U-joint?

Somebody put a large zip-tie on your drive shaft ?????

My PCV valve used to chatter like a woodpecker on crack. I put on a new one and it's nice and quiet now. It's on the passenger's side valve cover.
hahaha i was just going to ask about the zip tie.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 AM

We originally thought it was the U-joint as well, but neither mechanic could find anything that might cause this problem. I basically got told it was just an aggrevating noise that comes with having a high mileage truck. Which doesn't fly with me, I can't just "tune out" this sound.. even with the radio on I still know its there. Ugh. It almost seems like an electrical type ticking noise. Originally thought it was coming from inside the cab, once I opened the drivers side window I realized it was quite a bit louder outside. I really wish I knew more about motors and the mechanical side of vehicles.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Screw5.4
We originally thought it was the U-joint as well, but neither mechanic could find anything that might cause this problem. I basically got told it was just an aggrevating noise that comes with having a high mileage truck. Which doesn't fly with me, I can't just "tune out" this sound.. even with the radio on I still know its there. Ugh. It almost seems like an electrical type ticking noise. Originally thought it was coming from inside the cab, once I opened the drivers side window I realized it was quite a bit louder outside. I really wish I knew more about motors and the mechanical side of vehicles.
I know you said you got your exhaust manifolds fixed/replaced but that really sounds like an exhaust leak to me, easy way to check is get a shop vac and put it in the end of the exhaust pipe and seal it with some ducktape, turn on the vac with your truck off and spray some soapy water with a spray bottle all around the exhaust manifolds or where you think the leak is and if there is a leak youll see lil bubbles and if you listen closely youll hear a slight sucking sound
Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your plugs! Many plugs have blown on these engines (incluing mine) and from what my research indicates, that clicking/ticking sound indicates that a plug is ready to let go. Might not be the case, but check to see if your plugs are tight
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Idk what kind of noise your hearing but I had a ticking noise coming from
My drivers front tire that sounded like a rock in my tire and it actually was my cv half holding on
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the help guys, getting my cousin to take a look at it on Monday. He's a gearhead so hopefully I can get this straightened out.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have somebody drive truck with windows rolled down while you sit on passenger side. Get truck to speed until you hear noise, stick your head out to hear if noise is on right side, left side, under. My 01 supercrew 4x4, was making the same noise at the same speeds on driver's side. The problem was the bearing hub assembly/wheel hub. The grease inside bearing assembly goes bad/dries out, and then bearings go bad and make noise at certain speeds. If your truck is 2x4 you can just change bearings and grease, if 4x4 you will need the whole bearing hub assembly that comes with abs sensor. Auto parts sell it for about $200-250. I got mine from amazon (timken brand) for $135. Remove tire, brake caliper/pads and bracket, rotor, and hub bearing assembly.

Quick Reply: Weird noise when accelerating