Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

vibration/rubbing at slow (turning) speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration/rubbing at slow (turning) speeds

For anyone that has had this problem or had it fixed, what was your solution? I have read that it could be caused by the rotors being warped due to over tightening of the lug nuts? Any info would be great. thanks
my truck is an 02 supercrew
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

First off, Welcome to the forum, now lets hope we can offer up some info so you can make a decision as to repair or action taken. Have a little trouble with the rotors warping because of improper lug nut torque. Heat is causing the warpage of the rotors and unfortunately the more we machine them, the thinner they get and warp even easier. Symptoms of rotor warpage is more evident at higher speeds than at lower. Your concern of rubbing noise during turns I feel would be attributed to perhaps the wheel bearings not snugged up enough. During a turn the hub or rotor will shift slightly and hence rub on the pads that are in a straight ahead neutral position. Others will join in and cough up there two cents, you can send my $50.00 to the address above. Enjoy the forum and also the fun.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
First off, Welcome to the forum, now lets hope we can offer up some info so you can make a decision as to repair or action taken. Have a little trouble with the rotors warping because of improper lug nut torque. Heat is causing the warpage of the rotors and unfortunately the more we machine them, the thinner they get and warp even easier. Symptoms of rotor warpage is more evident at higher speeds than at lower. Your concern of rubbing noise during turns I feel would be attributed to perhaps the wheel bearings not snugged up enough. During a turn the hub or rotor will shift slightly and hence rub on the pads that are in a straight ahead neutral position. Others will join in and cough up there two cents, you can send my $50.00 to the address above. Enjoy the forum and also the fun.
Wow thanks good old Bill,
my problem has been going on for at least two years and even though the dealer's mechanic was able to observe the vibration/rubbing they were unable to diagnose and fix the problem. For some reason the symptoms occur A. not all the time B. more so after a long ride in HOT weather *not so much in winter. and C. we feel it most at very slow speeds while parking or turning the truck. As a result we are afraid to take the truck long distances! So far I had a mechanic replace my sway bar (separate issue) and explained to him my problem and he said he couldn't do anything unless he could observe the problem, but he did replace some brake oil/fluid in an attempt to fix it (didn't work)
I was thinking of just trading it in, but I hate to as I love the truck and if it is something like rotors or bearings I would be better off then getting a truck payment
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Truck payments, YUK!!! I like to remind every about the wasted sales tax involved in purchasing vehicles. I like to think of a $1,000.00 being spent on repairs (maintenance)yearly being much less than sales tax on a new purchase. Do the math. Back to the issue at hand, if you can describe the noise and curcumstances in more detail, hopefully it will trigger this old brain.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM

"if you can describe the noise and circumstances in more detail, hopefully it will trigger this old brain"

Well it seems that after longer rides (greater then 20 minutes) and we have come to slower traffic in a parking lot and you are pulling into the parking spot or turning in residential area we would hear a pretty awful sound, it's hard to describe, but like a weird rubbing sound, and at those times the whole truck would shimmy, shake and vibrate. My wife seems to think it's emanating from the back only, but I noticed while driving next to a 3 ft cement road divider that I could hear the noise while driving straight (the sounds were front and back), but there was no shimming, only happens during the slow turn?

The reason I thought it could be the rotor problem is that early on I had driven over a bunch of nails (different times) and I tightened the lug nuts not knowing you could over tighten them. My plan is to drive a good hour in our 88 degree heat today and see if I can get it to happen and take the truck to the local mechanic for inspection, I just was looking for advice from someone who may have experienced this exact problem so I could lead the mechanic in the right direction.
thanks
Rob
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM

Does this truck perhaps have limited slip in the rear end, perhaps the clutches are chattering on you during the turning? Other rubbing type noises but not shaking would be tires rubbing the fenderd liners. Hope you do get a good diognose from a mechanic that can experience this concern.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

How many miles are on the truck? Have you checked your CV axles? My truck did the same thing, and I found that the drivers side CV was completely broken in half. It was also the reason why my 4wd wasn't working
Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 AM

Sounds like what my 04 supercrew 4x4 was doing. Dealer said was the limited slip clutches. I put a bottle of anti friction oil, 4-6 oz bottle, in the rear-end. Seems to
have fixed my problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Funny thing happened…

I have owned fords for years and I know a fair amount about them, as it turned out I had my rear axel seals done in Aug of 2010. In Dec I started to feel this washboard issue and couldn’t figure out as to why this was happening. I am meticulous to the maintenances to my truck and cars so it was not the case of not keeping up on the trucks repairs. I went on a road trip and this feeling got worse like the rear end was bouncing all over the road and when turning the truck felt like a washboard/tire rubbing. With me knowing about the ford additive that is a MUST for all ford 4X4 trucks and special differential’s in larger ford vehicles. This additive will allow the correct slip so everything will work correctly. If this additive is not re-added it will start to show sign’s 3 to 5 months later as the above issue (as the old additive will start to wear out and the grinding will start. Damaging the internal deferential components.

I suggest you look back on your bills as this additive costs 20$+ Canadian and is a cheap preventive fix. If the shop you went to did not add the additive (((( FORD HAS A MECHANICAL POSTING)))) about the importance of this additive and warns of the damage that WILL be caused if not used….. the shop is responsible for the repair and you have legal recourse to recoup the cost from the said shops. This is not a joke and is a very costly repair that can only be prevented with the additive. Ford has made the internal working of the differentials so tight and precise, the necessity of this additive is one of the most important issue to the drive train workings.

Quick Reply: vibration/rubbing at slow (turning) speeds