Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Very little heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very little heat

Hi guys, I know this has been discussed multiple times on this forum but I have failed to find any good information so I figure to start new. So I have a 2001 F150 4.2 V6, I got it this past spring and it's been a great truck. With the cooler weather setting in I have been needing a little heat to keep my windshield de-fogged, only problem is, I have no heat. I've checked the blend door and it is working fine, no cracks, not loose or anything. I've flushed the heater core in both directions at least 5 times each. I did notice that one of the heater hoses under the hood has been spliced with a hose connector so I checked online to see if this truck had a heater control valve but information is sketchy at best, some say yes, some say no. One thing I noticed that could be a lot of my problem is that the A/C condenser behind the dash is always ice cold, is it supposed to be so? Also is there supposed to be another blend door (or something similar) that separates the condenser from the heating system when the A/C is not running?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thermostat might be stuck open
Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueO2
Im leaning towards that as well. Everything you mentioned is normal except you didn't say you checked or replaced the thermostat.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by bighammer15
Hi guys, I know this has been discussed multiple times on this forum but I have failed to find any good information so I figure to start new. So I have a 2001 F150 4.2 V6, I got it this past spring and it's been a great truck. With the cooler weather setting in I have been needing a little heat to keep my windshield de-fogged, only problem is, I have no heat. I've checked the blend door and it is working fine, no cracks, not loose or anything. I've flushed the heater core in both directions at least 5 times each. I did notice that one of the heater hoses under the hood has been spliced with a hose connector so I checked online to see if this truck had a heater control valve but information is sketchy at best, some say yes, some say no. One thing I noticed that could be a lot of my problem is that the A/C condenser behind the dash is always ice cold, is it supposed to be so? Also is there supposed to be another blend door (or something similar) that separates the condenser from the heating system when the A/C is not running?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How did you verify the blend door is operationable?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem for a couple of years. I replaced the thermostat, radiator(started leaking) rad cap, cut the heater box open thinking it was blend door. After flushing heater core several times the heat finally got a little warmer. I flushed it again about a year ago and it started leaking. I replaced it with a Ford core and had great heat.... until this year. I don't know why, but I had to flush it again today. I didn't see any sediment come out, but I have good heat once again. By the way your heater hose may have been spliced because someone may have flushed the heater core before. That's what I did. It was a lot easier than disconnecting the hose from behind the intake.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jstockert
How did you verify the blend door is operationable?
I cut the heater box open using a dremmel
Old 10-04-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My pickup it doing the same thing. I have flushed core our put in new thermastat water pump. Motor temp is 190 and the hose at heater core are much cool both of them.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:09 PM

I cut the heater box open using a dremmel
Are both of your heater hoses getting hot?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies and help guys, I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by jstockert
Are both of your heater hoses getting hot?
I don't have a thermometer to check but they both feel hot, in comparison with the radiator hoses they feel about the same, the return line could be a bit cooler but it's a little hard to be exact. After I cut the hole in the heater box the heater core felt really warm, so maybe I am getting too much outside air? Like maybe from where I was running the A/C it's drawing from the outside, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by BlueO2
I have changed the thermostat.

Engine temps are in the 190 range and never overheats.

Also, as of this morning, I flushed the entire coolant system till clear water was coming from every hose, added new antifreeze (2 gallons of full strength and topped the rest off with water. I'll drive it to work this evening and top it off again if needed with 50/50.), new thermostat (again). Also, so you guys know this truck does have a 4 core radiator not the stock 2 core.

The only thing I haven't checked is the water pump.

Side note: this is my 4th F-150 (3rd 4.2L engine) in the 1997-2003 range and this is the 1st time I've ever had this issue.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies and help guys, I really appreciate it.

I don't have a thermometer to check but they both feel hot, in comparison with the radiator hoses they feel about the same, the return line could be a bit cooler but it's a little hard to be exact. After I cut the hole in the heater box the heater core felt really warm, so maybe I am getting too much outside air? Like maybe from where I was running the A/C it's drawing from the outside, I'm not sure.

I have changed the thermostat.

Engine temps are in the 190 range and never overheats.

Also, as of this morning, I flushed the entire coolant system till clear water was coming from every hose, added new antifreeze (2 gallons of full strength and topped the rest off with water. I'll drive it to work this evening and top it off again if needed with 50/50.), new thermostat (again). Also, so you guys know this truck does have a 4 core radiator not the stock 2 core.

The only thing I haven't checked is the water pump.

Side note: this is my 4th F-150 (3rd 4.2L engine) in the 1997-2003 range and this is the 1st time I've ever had this issue.
Well in my opinion if your blend door is operating properly and the heater core is not plugged, usually both heater hoses being hot verify it is not, you should have heat in the cab of your truck. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Is your blower motor working?

Quick Reply: Very little heat