Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Valve Chatter and power loss on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Valve Chatter and power loss on hard acceleration

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have got some good info just recently search through posts. Not mechanically inclined and I am at the mercy of mechanics and dealerships.

2001 F150 Supercrew 5.4 Triton V8

Originally had a P1405 code come up on my truck. Gleaned from forum replacement of the DPFE was in order. Dealership confirmed this and got the truck back with new sensor. Upon receiving truck I noticed that it was having an issue during hard acceleration (passing on a hill) accompanied with a flashing SES light. Again I checked out the posts on this forum for a possible solution. What I read pointed to the MAF sensor. I took it back to the dealership and told them it might be MAF. They told me that it would not even run if the MAF wasn't working. Fortunately they did not believe me so they spent about a day and a half check the COP and the plugs to eliminate some issues. The told me the test were inconclusive and gave me my truck back. Over the next weekend I got my truck to lock in a code and when I took it back and indeed it was the MAF. This fixed the issue somewhat but on hard acceleration my valves are chattering loudly and I have a loss of power when I floor it. When I drive conservatively it drives fine. Most all of this work was covered under a 2-year electronics/drivetrain waranty. Before I got my truck out from the MAF replacement the dealership recommended CAT and O2 sensor replacement for $3700 dollars. If I have this work done will my truck run like it did before the DPFE went bad. So far I have only spent about $400 and that was on things not related to this issue.

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted let you all know what has occured before.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by 01SuperCrew54XLT; 11-05-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: ICON

Quick Reply: Valve Chatter and power loss on hard acceleration