Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

v6 possible heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default v6 possible heater core?

Hi Everyone,

Having a problem with my truck lately. Have been getting an intermittent coolant smell in the cabin but it normally goes away after a while. I know this usually indicates a bad heater core. Tonight I parked my truck at walmart and when I came back it was leaking coolant from underneath the truck. I couldn't pinpoint the source of the leak as it was getting dark but it was dripping off the transmission housing (I don't think that's where it originated from obviously). Also - it wasn't pouring out or anything just a drip drip drip sorta thing. Driving back the windshield fogged up from coolant I suppose. I also noticed that the upper rad hose is hot while the bottom rad hose is not and I can't feel definitive pressure on either by pinching the hoses. Observing the coolant it looks rusty and smells like rotting rubber hoses. I don't think the previous owner(s) have ever changed the coolant on this truck at 127k+ miles so I'm sure that's why the trouble has arisen. The dipstick shows no traces of coolant in it if anybody is wondering. Can someone confirm that this sounds like a bad heater core before I go to all the trouble of ripping my dash out to get the sucker?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that there are a couple other possibilities so I wouldn't buy any parts yet. could just be a cracked hose, the heater core its self could be fine. Tearing apart the dash is probably unavoidable though so go for it!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a heater core, but would check hoses first to make sure you dont have a broken one first. With fogging of the windsheild it does sure sound like it though.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump, friends 2001 V6 F150 is leaking as well. Common heater core symptoms like wet floor mats, smells bad in cabin, loss of coolant. To bypass it, can I just cut the hose and attach it to the other hose?

Quick Reply: v6 possible heater core?