Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Universal fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal fuel pump question

I have a 2003 f150 4.2L, looking into a universal fuel pump. The pigtail connector plugs into the new unit, with the positive and negative wires exposed. Am I supposed to splice the new wires into the old top unit of the fuel pump? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. You need to cut the old connector off and splice the new connector into the harness. Use shrink tubing to keep it neat.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Thank you, JMC I was uncertain about what to do. (lol) So, I will use shrink wrap, was kinda thinking that too. But one question, the splice or connection would need to be made in the tank? Seems the new pigtail is kinda short, I will solder the connections and doulbe shrink wrap. But is this a relatively safe thing to do? Thanks again JMC, the haze is beggining to clear lol. I'll let you how it goes.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Working Joe
Thank you, JMC I was uncertain about what to do. (lol) So, I will use shrink wrap, was kinda thinking that too. But one question, the splice or connection would need to be made in the tank? Seems the new pigtail is kinda short, I will solder the connections and doulbe shrink wrap. But is this a relatively safe thing to do? Thanks again JMC, the haze is beggining to clear lol. I'll let you how it goes.
you can just do single shrink wrap then shrink wrap electrical tape around that its what i do for all my electronics. and that plastic tubing works wonders to it isnt always just for clean looks.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as the connections are done properly there is nothing to worry about.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks again JMC and Ken, you guys are cool . I'm glad to be part of the crew. I still haven't dropped the tank yet. I'm waiting for a buddy to come on over and give me a hand lowering the gas tank. I'll let you know how it goes. Agains thanks a bunch.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to JMC and Ken, installation complete and truck runs fine again!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Universal fuel pump question