Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Turning key results in click

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turning key results in click

The block has been plugged in, charger on the battery for two days. Turning the key on results in the usual sounds and battery needle goes up to the usual position when the battery is charged. If it's dead, the dash lights are dim and the battery needle will flip up to the top then down to the bottom. When I turn the key farther to engage it to start, there is just a click. Just now the theft light starting winking. It wasn't before as I always check to make sure it's not as overnight it will kill the battery. It's always started in the past if the light winked.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like a dead battery. Strong enough to light up the dash but not strong enough to start the truck. Take the battery in and have it tested. It should be free.

How old is the battery?

Is there corrosion on the posts? Powdery white stuff.

Last edited by Heavy_Metal; 02-11-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 02-11-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Dead battery
Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'm pretty sure you're both right on that.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Also check your cable connections. On the battery and on the firewall and engine. After you clean them, I recommend using di electric grease on the connections to make sure you have a good connection and fight future corrosion.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

If your battery is charged take a long screw driver with your key in the on position and cross the posts on your starter solenoid. Its on your firewall on the pass side. It will turn your engine over if your battery is good and the solenoid is bad.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 5,558 Likes on 4,635 Posts

Do you have a multi meter ? Even a cheap one can tell the story with the battery.

After disconnecting the charger, the battery should be at least 12.4v after an hours time or it's not fully charged yet. Holding at 12.6 , it still in new condition as far as cranking amps. Monitoring that will help you keep from overcharging.

Theres also other ways to determine. There been a new tool out for some time that'll test your cranking amps quickly. You can do all of that with a MM as well, but the new tool is quicker. It was do to be fairly cheap in price as well. Personally I haven't acquired one yet , - just us a meter.

Anyway, a meter will give you an idea, you'll need one at some point.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 5,558 Likes on 4,635 Posts

Originally Posted by jprevat
If your battery is charged take a long screw driver with your key in the on position and cross the posts on your starter solenoid. Its on your firewall on the pass side. It will turn your engine over if your battery is good and the solenoid is bad.
Right. I've had to use that method to fire her up when I fell prey to the click syndrome, - before getting a chance to work on it.

Turn the key to run, cross the solenoid terminals, roomazoomzoom
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Takelababy
The block has been plugged in, charger on the battery for two days. Turning the key on results in the usual sounds and battery needle goes up to the usual position when the battery is charged. If it's dead, the dash lights are dim and the battery needle will flip up to the top then down to the bottom. When I turn the key farther to engage it to start, there is just a click. Just now the theft light starting winking. It wasn't before as I always check to make sure it's not as overnight it will kill the battery. It's always started in the past if the light winked.
I had the same problem and it was a combo of two things, first my terminals were cracked, so I couldn't snug them down good, and second my security system is a bit screwy and my truck will REFUSE to start unless I either type the code on the door or press the unlock button on my key fob (I think the guy I bought it from installed an aftermarket security system). If I don't it will do exactly like yours is and just flash the theft light over and over.

Quick Reply: Turning key results in click