Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Turn signals going bad, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals going bad, please help

I have a '99 and my turn signals are going bad. Whenever I turn them on, right or left, they will blink once or twice, then stop. This happens both ony dash and on my actual signals. How do I fix this?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Did I not provide enough info, or does really no one know?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Switch is either bad or the flasher for the lights is bad... Betting the flasher for the lights is worn out....
Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM

I was thinking that too, but my actual signals stop working (both left and right, front and back) when the dash light stops
Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree, check flasher. If both sides right and left act same way and started all at once, its common to both.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM

Ok I'll check it out. However I'm a novice when it comes to cars. How do I check the flasher?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Default had same problem - fixed

Papa,
I recently had the same problems - both turn signals sort of going crazy... blinking out of rhythm, then stopping altogether. Very puzzling. And the dash blinking matched the lights. No bad bulbs/lamps. They all worked.

What I found was that the turn signal relay (also called "flasher") was bad. It's a part that costs $12 or so and can be replaced yourself. It's located under the dash, is about the size of a 1 inch cube, and has prongs (think electrical plug). A knowledgeable guy at O'Reilly's was very helpful in getting me the right one, and that made it easier to find what I was looking for under the dash. When I found it, it just unplugged (the factory unit had a piece of tape around it - removed that) and I plugged the new one in.

Again, the part was incredibly simple to replace. In my '02 F150, however, I did have to exercise extreme patience and acrobatics to (a) remove a ton of various little screws to get the bottom dash panel (by your knees) off so that I could see better to find the flasher. You might or might not have to do that. Should be located below and slightly to the right of steering column as you're facing the dash. (not when you're laying upside down on the floorboard, half in and half out of the truck... from that angle it's to the left of the steering column...)

Important note - disconnect the negative battery cable before doing any of this...
Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks, hopefully that's all it is. I'll go by the auto parts store on my way home tonight.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Ok, well I was finally able to buy a new flasher. I got home, crawled under my dash.... and was completely lost!

I looked for a good 5 minutes for something that resembled the flasher I had purchased, but I couldn't see anything. So I decided to take a few pics with my camera and upload them here, and hopefully someone can point out what I am to replace.

If you do see the flasher, could you please circle it in the pic and repost it? that would make things much easier.

Sorry about the huge-ness of the pics. But I figured it would be harder to spot the part if I shrunk the pics.

Last edited by PapaSmurf; 09-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't know this for sure, but I want to say it is in a box, like a fuse panel. Check your manual and look at the fuses...

Quick Reply: Turn signals going bad, please help