Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Trying to use my trailer..need a electric brake controller..help?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to use my trailer..need a electric brake controller..help?!

Soo I have a 03 Fx4...I have a trailer that has electric brakes so I need to get a trailer brake controller. Friend of mine works at local store and can get me an agility electric brake controller. On the back of the package it says it needs a seperate connector if I dont have a tow package...lol. but I dont know if I have a tow package, I have the hitch and all the wiring on the back. My mechanic says I should just be able to plug it into the harness right around the gas pedal under the dash.
Is this true? Its just plug and play when I buy it? Also when I goto tow my vehicle, do I take the overdrive off?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by smellmygas; 09-23-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Other guys will chime in on this issue, be patient, plenty of other guys wilh same problem. While you are nervous waiting for an answer try the Search feature.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a new brake controller on mine. If you have the tow package, you will find a factory installed connector under the dash to the right of the steering colum. Mine is a grey color and faces the front of the vehicle. Depending on the Brake controller you get, you can get a OEM adapter that will plug into the factory supplied conector in your truck and wire that to your brake controller with the supplied butt connectors so you don't have to splice into your trucks wirring at all. Som controllers have just the four wires comming out the back, some have a plug...depending on what you buy you get the OEM harness to match. There are severl types you can get. Delayed which just applies a braking force when you step on the brake (gets stronger with time brakes are applied) or a "Perpetual" which uses a sensor to determine the rate that you are braking and applies the same force to the trailers brakes based on deceleration. The perpetuals cost more but I like them more and for an extra 30 bucks, worth it to know you have better control.
Check this link out to find out more about installing the brake controller....it is really simple if you get the OEM harness (about 14 bucks for mine) and this will walk you through it compleatly: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-fbc.aspx
As far as towing and the O/D....yes, you will want that off...your transmission will thank you for it even though it will burn some extra petrol!
Hope it helps mate, let me know if you need more info!
Skunk

Quick Reply: Trying to use my trailer..need a electric brake controller..help?!