Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 PM
2000 Ford F150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck wont start

After letting my truck sit for a while I went to start it, the truck turned over but wouldnt start. I listened at the fuel tank while my buddy turned the key, didnt sound right, so I replaced the fuel pump and the tank while I was at it (mine had a leak) and bought a new battery.. put it back together but still turns over but wont start. Ive had problems with my ignition alot where the key wont turn so my ignition has been tampered with alot so I dont know if the ignition has anything to do with it... I started to think about what might have happened during the time that the truck was parked and the only thing I done to it was removed the box. so maybe I broke something when I removed the box? I would appreciate any help you guys can give me as to why it wont start, thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

I trust now that you are getting gas and you hear the fuel pump working when you turn on the key. I doubt that you ignition switch is the problem but, if you are having problems with it and want to fix it, all you need to do is stick a thin screw driver or similar object in the hole below the switch, turn the switch to the run position, and pull out the old switch. then you buy a new one for less than $25 at Autozone and install it. You can also buy new locks for your doors if you want the have your door and ignition keys to be the same. Otherwise, you have to use your old keys for the doors and the new key for the ignition switch. Now, on to the start problem.

If you are getting fuel, you must not be getting spark. If your PCM (computer) is not receiving a signal from the crank shaft sensor or cam shaft sensor telling it where the engine is located in the operating cycle, it is not going to give you any spark. The crank sensor is located behind the A/C compressor and the cam shaft sensor is located at the front of the engine on the drivers side. It is not uncommon for them to fail all of a sudden. If you can get at the connections and clean them first before replacing them, you can save some money. The cam sensor is easy to get at and change. The crank sensor requires you to take out the 4 bolts to the A/C and move it aside. This fails most often because it gets real dirty behind the A/C compressor and stops sending a signal. Go figure, the hardest one to get at is the one that always fails.

After you get at it it comes out by removing one bolt and unpluging it from it's connection. Clean the connection real good when you put in the new one. Also, when you reinstall the A/C compressor, make sure the electrical plug is inserted properly because it can come loose when you start moving it around and your A/C won't work if it is not properly plugged in. I recommend cleaning up the dirt and oil around the sensor and also cleaning the bolts to your A/C compressor so everything goes back together easily. The new sensors cost about $25 each (crank and cam) and a garage allows about an hour each to install them. For an old country boy working with jacks and farm tools, this equates to an afternoon including the time spent going to Autozone.

since you have replaced the battery, the PCM has most likely been reset and running the codes won't help you. However, if you have a buddy with a code reader, try reading the codes and see what they tell you before experimenting. Also make sure you have good grounds on your firewall and they are not heavily corroded. You might also put on a timing light on one plug wire and have your buddy crank the engine while you watch for the light to go on. If it does not go on (i.e. no spark) and you have good grounds, you will be 90% sure you have a sensor problem.

Good luck

Frank Ford

Last edited by Frank_Ford; 02-04-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
2000 Ford F150

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know where this gets me tomorrow. I'm so glad I joined the forum, it's great.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BRENDANMROZ
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know where this gets me tomorrow. I'm so glad I joined the forum, it's great.
Here's an easy test, spray carb cleaner in the throttle body/carb and see if it tries to start, if it tries or does start you know the issue is with fuel delievery and you can focus on diagnoising that problem. Good luck and keep us posted. Mr. Ford is feeding you a lot of good information, a manual might also be a good investment if you plan on keeping this truck.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
2000 Ford F150

I might not have time to look at this for a couple days but ill keep you guys posted. Thought some of you might want to check out this build thread on a 2002 f150 SAS. I was really impressed with this build. This forum is for people that live in my hometown Thunder Bay, thought it was worth sharing on here. http://tbmotoring.com/threads/219-Ne...-2002-F150-SAS

Quick Reply: Truck wont start