Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck starts weird

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Truck starts weird

I am new to this forum and am not sure where to put this but basically when I go to turn on my truck if I don't wait about 10 seconds with the key the "On" position before I fully turn it to get the truck to turn on the truck will start really hard. It will take about 7ish seconds of it trying to start before it will. But if I wait those 10 seconds then turn it on it starts right up. I never had to do this with my excursion. I have to do this no matter the temperature of the engine or outside. recently had the alternator go out had that replaced but when the alt died it took the batt with it and I haven't replaced that yet. Will when I have time. This issue was even before the alt went out.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Change the fuel filter ... probably never been changed
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

This might not be exactly correct but your fuel pump might be going bad. The fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when the key is placed in the on position then goes off. Then as you crank the engine the pump works again and continues to work when the engine starts. I am thinking that your pump is delaying that initial boost of fuel.

Have someone turn your truck on while you stand next to the fuel filler. Listen for the pump to come on for a couple of seconds with a steady pump. If it sounds like the sound of the pump is delayed, weak, intermittent, or the noise varies, could be your pump.

As a side note, the pump is not hard to change if you don't have much fuel in the tank when you remove it. Otherwise, you will need to remove the fuel before you start or get at the pump by removing the bed of your truck.

Do Techrep's suggestion first.

Quick Reply: Truck starts weird