Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck randomly shuts off while driving

Old 05-25-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck randomly shuts off while driving

My f150 started shutting off randomly while I am driving. I am unable to reproduce it. When this happens, the engine stops suddenly and the radio and digital odometer turn off and back on as if the key is turned off then back on. It then takes a few minutes to finally start backup, as if the security system is preventing from starting or something. Not to sure what to think right now. I have done some google searching and the only thing I could come up with is one of the battery wires shorting out on an AC line, but all the cables are good and not broken. Anybody else with this issue and a solution?

Not sure if this is related, but during the winter and winter only, I would randomly get a code for cylinder 6 circuit malfunction. I would clear the code and it would be fine for 300 miles and I;d do it again. Once it started to warm up, never had the issue again. However, I have had the P1000 code on for a long time and it seems like the diagnostics are not running or something.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a bad PCM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:57 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Try a PCM relay first.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:45 PM

I will try a relay and a PCM. I had a feeling that's what it was. I had somebody tell me today to look at my fuel injectors for a leak. Does this fit? I don't think it does but this guy is a mechanic with uhaul. I just don't really want to mess with the fuel rail.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I should have been more clear. When I said that it sounded like a bad PCM, I meant that as a suggested place to begin diagnostics. Unless you just have a lot of money to throw at your truck, I would recommend checking PCM circuit relays, fuses, connections, wires, and the PCM itself. I mean the PCM sounds like the problem to me, but that's a lot of money to spend based on the guesses of a few dudes on the Internet. But hey, what do I know? That's just my two cents.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity what year of truck is it, and do you have a scanner plugged into your ODBII port?

Eric
Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 PM

My truck is a 2000 and yes I do have a tuner plugged into it though no tunes are applied. I replaced the PCM relay and have had zero issues with it shutting off while driving for three days now. It was doing it once a day. As far as circuit 6 malfunction, I'm still at a lose as it only shows up during the winter and goes away for the summer but as soon as I clear the code it takes 300 miles for it to come back but only in the winter when it's colder than 40 degrees. I guess it could be the fuel injector or an o ring, but not to sure.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by austin286
My truck is a 2000 and yes I do have a tuner plugged into it though no tunes are applied. I replaced the PCM relay and have had zero issues with it shutting off while driving for three days now. It was doing it once a day. As far as circuit 6 malfunction, I'm still at a lose as it only shows up during the winter and goes away for the summer but as soon as I clear the code it takes 300 miles for it to come back but only in the winter when it's colder than 40 degrees. I guess it could be the fuel injector or an o ring, but not to sure.
An obd scanner is different from a tuner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck randomly shuts off while driving