Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck died suddenly, now will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck died suddenly, now will not start

About three weeks ago while driving, my truck (96 F-150) seemed to "jump". It lost all power for a fraction of a second and then when back to normal. It did this a few more times. It then would die for a second or two and come right back on. Last week while driving at 45 mph, it just died as if someone pulled the key out of the ignition. The lights, radio, etc. all still worked. I coasted to a stop and restarted right away. The next day it then died while I was parking. Again It started right back up. This afternoon, it started then died immediately. Now It will not start. It turns over but never starts. When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump buzz. Should I start looking at the fuel system first or the ignition system, or could it be a bigger problem.

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first response was going to be fuel pump but you said you can hear it buzz. I drove from Houston to Memphis and the truck wouldn't start the next morning. The fuel pump went out. Just glade it got me there. When I was in denial I replaced the cam position sensor. It is a $15 part and easy to get to. Just an idea.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day,

Well, you are on the right track! There are only two things that will keep a motor from starting; ignition or fuel... Even if it runs poorly, it will usually run if you have those two and timing is right... I agree with cameeks that it could be a failing fuel pump, or clogged filter... The other two thoughts would be the coil (since you have a 96 - 300 I-6, 302 or 351 V8's) or the ignition module on the distributor... I'd go with the ignition module first...

Good luck and please let us know what the fixes it!!

Cheers!!

Quick Reply: Truck died suddenly, now will not start