Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

trouble with transmission 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy trouble with transmission 4wd

Today I went to use my 4 wd and it made a loud bang into 4 low. When I was finished and tried to go back to 2 wd it wouldn't change back. Every time I tried to switch back to 2wd it was if I was in neutral. I have to put it in 4 high or low in order to drive my truck. Every time I go to switch to try to free it it make a winding noise and slams gears. Lost!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Need a little more info - model year, electric or manual shifter (assuming electric??), what procedure did you use to shift?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:38 PM

It is a 2000 f150. I think it is electric because it changes to 4wd by a switch. I tried to change it by switching back and forth with no success. I have to keep it in 4 high in order to drive. If I put it back to 2 wd in is like having it in neutral. Please help!!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

No experience with the electric shift. The part about the 'slamming gears' has me concerned. What sequence did you follow when shifting from 4H to 4L - stopped, rolling, etc.?

Have had problems with my manual shifter where crud got up in the linkage, making it difficult to shift. The shifter pattern is 2H - 4H - N - 4L - if the electric shift has the same sequence - not seeing how it can get hung up in the neutral position.

One suggestion would be to verify whether the rear wheels are being driven in 4WD - trying to determine whether the problem is with the shifter travel, or whether there is an internal problem with the transfer case.

How to do this is the challenge - one thought may be to tow-strap the trailer hitch to a stout tree or other immovable object, then gently try to spin the wheels and see which ones dig????

Hoping it's a simple and cheap fix, but concerned at this point that something in the transfer case is damaged.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Electric 4WD shift

If it is a **** on the dash then it is electric shift. I have never had a problem with the 2 Fords I have owned that had electric shifters. I helped a buddy with his Chevy that had the same issue you describe. It was stuck in 4WD and was electric shift. Chevys have a motor on the front axle and a motor on the transfer case. I would think that Fords are similar. After checking the motor on the axle and verifying that it worked we focused on the transfer case. We ended up replacing the motor on the transfer case that shifts the case between 2wd & 4wd. It was not too expensive nor difficult.

Quick Reply: trouble with transmission 4wd