Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission shop says I need new transmission replacement, TCC solenoid bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission shop says I need new transmission replacement, TCC solenoid bad?

My OD light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving 45 mph. My truck is a 99 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 5.4l and 4r70w auto transmission. I bought the truck from a guy who said the light has been flashing for years. It does have a form down shift from 1st to 2nd after the light comes on, but shifts perfectly when the light is not on.

Took it to a transmission shop today and they scanned it. They told me that my torque converter solenoid is what's throwing the code, but my transmission fluid is "varnished", so my transmission needs replacement.

My first question is, couldn't I pull the pan and filter and replace the solenoid myself, then fill with clean fluid?

My second question is, is a rebuild of my transmission a fair price at $1900 (including parts, labor and 3 year warranty?" The shop stated it could be a little more if they find other damage, up to $400 or so. They also offered a nationally recognized rebuilt transmission by ETE Remanufactured Transmissions, for the price of $2600 OTD, same warranty.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by alnen
My OD light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving 45 mph. My truck is a 99 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 5.4l and 4r70w auto transmission. I bought the truck from a guy who said the light has been flashing for years. It does have a form down shift from 1st to 2nd after the light comes on, but shifts perfectly when the light is not on.

Took it to a transmission shop today and they scanned it. They told me that my torque converter solenoid is what's throwing the code, but my transmission fluid is "varnished", so my transmission needs replacement.

My first question is, couldn't I pull the pan and filter and replace the solenoid myself, then fill with clean fluid?

My second question is, is a rebuild of my transmission a fair price at $1900 (including parts, labor and 3 year warranty?" The shop stated it could be a little more if they find other damage, up to $400 or so. They also offered a nationally recognized rebuilt transmission by ETE Remanufactured Transmissions, for the price of $2600 OTD, same warranty.
I just got done pulling the pan and redoing my trans fluid. Fluid does not vanish. Find out where the leak is.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
I just got done pulling the pan and redoing my trans fluid. Fluid does not vanish. Find out where the leak is.
Varnished, not vanished. I don't really know what that means, they implied that it meant my transmission was toast.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Nope. If its throwing a TC slip code changing the fluid might not help it. Also depends on mileage on the vehicle.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

what are the exact code(s) being displayed?

Your 99 truck should have a drain plug on the torque converter. drain the converter and pull the pan. replace the TCC solenoid, install a new filter and refill with 12 qts of mercon V fluid.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:49 PM

The code is po741
Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by alnen
The code is po741

P0741 Ford - Torque Converter Clutch Mechanical System

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
- Transmission internal mechanical problem

When is the code detected?
The Engine Control Module (ECM) detected excessive transmission slippage or no TCC solenoid operation

P0741 Ford Description
The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.

Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.

When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:59 PM

Personally, I would drop the pan, replace the TCC solenoid, drain the torque converter, replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid and go from there.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:34 PM

The code is detected after about 5 minutes of driving 45 mph. I don't notice anything unusual about shifting. The only thing that I do notice is a harder than normal down shift from 2 to 1 after the od light starts flashing.

So I should drop the pan, drain the converter, replace the tcc solenoid, then refill?
Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 5,551 Likes on 4,628 Posts

Originally Posted by mitymerc
Personally, I would drop the pan, replace the TCC solenoid, drain the torque converter, replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid and go from there.
Yea that's what I did over 100,000 miles ago, (sort of) - but I didn't change the solenoid and added a shift kit. The truck wouldn't move before hand. I used Amsoil on the refill and cleaned the valve body by hand. Trans has 330,000 miles on it now. I just used the truck to hall my tools to a new location, - heavy loads. Didn't sweat it.

I guess what I'm saying is, - don't give up on it. If it's not too far gone, you can fix it by basically just cleaning her up and using GOOD fluid.

Quick Reply: Transmission shop says I need new transmission replacement, TCC solenoid bad?