Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission problems with cold weather

Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems with cold weather

Hey, I'm new to this forum, and also new to ford trucks. Like the title states I'm haveing transmission problems when it's cold out. I have a 1997 F-150 Lariat, 180,xxx miles on it. My problem i'm having is when i start driving it when it's cold out it's doesnt want to shift like it should. It kind of stick in gears till it's warmed up,and i've put some a few miles on it, then it's back to normal.I was thinking about changing the filter, but I've also heard alot of horror stories about doing so, and the truck may not move after. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to stay away from buying a another transmission.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Demolishing Myths:

The tranny has a fluid temperature sensor in it that tells the PCM to modify the line pressure and shift points to compensate for cold temps. Once the fluid is up to temp, the standard strategy is in force. The sensor also keeps the torque converter clutch locked out until the fluid is warmed up.

Your best bet is to have the tranny serviced by a good shop where the fluid in the torque converter is drained and the system refilled with Mercon V or ATF+4 (I'd go with the ATF+4) with a new filter and pan gasket.

Changing the filter will not cause any tranny problems. Flushing the tranny sometimes causes some troubles, so I would avoid having that service performed even if an "expert" recommends the procedure.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 10-18-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise. I can handle the trans filter and fluid myself, but how is the draining and fill up of the of torQue converter done?

Last edited by sp33dmachine; 10-19-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission problems with cold weather