Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission and engine oil question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Transmission and engine oil question.

Hi all,

I've used this site to garner info when doing simple maintenance on my 2000 F-150 many times, so I finally registered.

I have a question that's more of a curiosity than anything.

After about 115,000 miles, I ended up needing transmission work. The Ford dealer gave me three options: factory reman, in house rebuild, or salvage yard replacement. I chose the salvage yard route to save money since I will end up replacing the vehicle in about 2 years. The tranny they put in came off of a 2000 F-150 that had about 92,000 miles on it. Everything runs fine, except for an annoying low frequency rumble while stopped, and idling in gear. It runs fine, shifts fine, shows no problems on the scan, etc..., just that annoying rumble/vibration at stopped in gear idle. This never happened with the factory transmission from when the truck was built at the Ford plant.

Now here's the part that everyone is going to get pi**ed at me for. I've owned the truck since new, and for the past 6 years or so, it uses about 1 quart of oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I beat the crap out of this truck, and I'm often too lazy to change the oil regularly. Now, here's the really bad part. I often go past 10,000 miles between oil changes, and only add oil when I either notice the valve train audibly clicking, or when I notice the oil pressure gauge dip to zero momentarily after I come to a stop. Then I top off with oil, and move on.

Yes, I know this is bad. I know it's reducing engine life. I'm a bad, bad, man.....LOL.

Anyhow, I don't think the oil level was ever in the "full" range since the transmission was replaced. Here's the weird part. This past week, I topped her off with oil right to the top of the full range on the dip stick. Miraculously, the tansmission rumble/vibration is gone.

Is there any link between engine oil level and the operation of the transmission?

Just curious if there is any connection, or if this was just a coincidence.

Thanks,

Tim

Quick Reply: Transmission and engine oil question.