Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Trans slips when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trans slips when hot

Hello Crew, I bought a 2000 with a 4.6 automatic about a year ago. It had about 130,000 miles on it and the transmission fluid and filter had never been changed so I did not change it for fear it would go out if I did. Now all of a sudden it has started slipping very badly when it gets hot. The first thing I did was check the fluid level. For some reason it appears to be over filled. I am good about checking the levels and I don't recall it being over filled a month ago. It only did this once and I parked it and have only started it once to warm it up and re-check the fluid level. When it was started and running cold I put it in gear and it ran fine back and forth a few times in the driveway. The transmission is still showing to be overfilled. What have I got here?
Thanks...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No replies?? OK, since the car runs great when it is cold I decided to gamble. I have changed the fluid and filter. It seams to have a slight hesitation when you shift into Drive and I am praying this situation gets better. I have only driven it about two miles and it will probley be a few days before I can really drive it. Wish me luck.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be your transmission solenoid, my dads '97 4.2L was slipping when he got off the highway and he replaced the solenoid and it was working fine for a week or so, then it started doing it again so he got a junk yard trans.

Quick Reply: Trans slips when hot