Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Trans/electrical problem HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/electrical problem HELP!!

I just purchased a 2000 f150 with a 5.4... it ran great for a few days and even ran fine on the 100+mile trip home from the previous owners house. All the sudden it shut down on the highway today. I could barely get it started again and when it did start, it ran like hell, bucking and jolting, almost like a really bad misfire. I could also smell trans fluid being heated up, so I let it sit awhile and then it fired right up. It drove for about a half mile and began to act up again. I threw it in second gear to limp it home which it died several times on. Each time I'd let it sit for like 15 minutes with the negative battery cable off. It fires right up after that but the problem quickly returns. Also the overdrive button doesn't work, and the trans control switch fuse (spot 29) blows repeatedly. Id love some help here, as I just put all of my savings into buying the truck. Also the power door locks do not work. Thanks so much for any insight you may have for me. I'm pulling my hair out lol.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM

Forgot to mention its a 4x4 with 117k miles.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Get a refund pronto.

Have you checked the trans fluid level...correctly ?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Fuse 29 will blow if there is a short in the steering column. This is fairly common.

But the other problems sound like they might be related. If you bought from a dealer, bring it back as jbrew said.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:10 PM

I bought it private party, the fluid was brand new looking when i bought it which raised a small red flag, but he said it had just recently gotten a tune up and they did that(stupid me)... Also I did notice that it seems to be a bit over filled actually. I'll try and get my neighbors evac pump and suck some out till its down proper. But shouldn't that have caused a problem much sooner?. I've put 150-175 miles on it at least since the problem occurred.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:34 PM

Since you didn't post how you checked it, I can only assume you did it wrong. It must be checked right after a 20-30 mile or so drive cycle or at operating temp. Before shutting the engine off, go through the gears, foot on the brake pausing in each gear momentarily. Begin in 1rst, then graduate slowly up to park. With it still running, check it then.

General info, -

If it smells burnt or you can't hold the stick without burning your digits, you have the wrong fluid in there. Trans fluid should ALWAYS look new, like it was just changed. You use 100% synthetic fluid. If otherwise spec'ed, disregard the manual's info and use 100% syn anyway ...If you want that trans to last.

Some transmissions, dependent upon which one have (most likley the 4r70w) were spec'ed for Mercon Fluid. Mercon has been discontinued (I believe this was only an issue with the older E4OD's). Never the less, use the 100% synthetic.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:36 PM

So you don't have a CEL ?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Since you didn't post how you checked it, I can only assume you did it wrong. It must be checked right after a 20-30 mile or so drive cycle or at operating temp. Before shutting the engine off, go through the gears, foot on the brake pausing in each gear momentarily. Begin in 1rst, then graduate slowly up to park. With it still running, check it then.

General info, -

If it smells burnt or you can't hold the stick without burning your digits, you have the wrong fluid in there. Trans fluid should ALWAYS look new, like it was just changed. You use 100% synthetic fluid. If otherwise spec'ed, disregard the manual's info and use 100% syn anyway ...If you want that trans to last.

Some transmissions, dependent upon which one have (most likley the 4r70w) were spec'ed for Mercon Fluid. Mercon has been discontinued (I believe this was only an issue with the older E4OD's). Never the less, use the 100% synthetic.
There's no way I can do a proper drive cycle with the trans as it is now. I checked it yesterday when the truck broke down and it was significantly higher than it said for "hot", and I checked it this afternoon after truck was shut off for 8+ hours and it was still way above where the hot level was. The "cold" level is way below that... It only begins to give off a burnt smell when the problem is occurring and you are driving, doesn't smell burnt when you check it when its cold. I took the truck out just around the block and about halfway out it started to act up again and then didn't want to upshift. I had to use 2nd gear on the column to get it home.

Originally Posted by Jbrew
So you don't have a CEL ?
No cel, I scanned when the problem first happened and it and came up with nothing. I did get a trans code p1780 i believe when i tried to do a KOER test and have read that i did that wrong. And this code is normal for that, but its also the same fuse that keeps blowing, so I'm sort of confused. I am planning on pull the column apart and fixing any wires in there that seem to be shorted.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by FASTER
There's no way I can do a proper drive cycle with the trans as it is now. I checked it yesterday when the truck broke down and it was significantly higher than it said for "hot", and I checked it this afternoon after truck was shut off for 8+ hours and it was still way above where the hot level was. The "cold" level is way below that... It only begins to give off a burnt smell when the problem is occurring and you are driving, doesn't smell burnt when you check it when its cold. I took the truck out just around the block and about halfway out it started to act up again and then didn't want to upshift. I had to use 2nd gear on the column to get it home.
So it won't even shift, foot on the brake first. Sounds likes it's VERY over filled. The cold reading needs to checked with it's running BTW.

If it were me, I would at least check it correctly , whether cold or hot. Get one of those right first to be sure. You have to go thru the gears or do nothing at all. It's not hard, - do you understand that explanation ? Don't forget to pause as explained earlier.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM

OK, my apologies. I goofed and had the engine off when I checked it. I just did it again and its within operating range. Sorry this just has me very stressed.

Quick Reply: Trans/electrical problem HELP!!