Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

trailer brake system and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trailer brake system and brake lights

i have a 97 f150 it has a harness under the dash with a gray connector and 5 wires, im guessing its for the trailer brakes, i was going to look on ebay for a system and have no idea what to look for. i dont know if they all connect to that harness or just certain ones. also what do i need to get the trailer lights on. i dont know if the wires are ran from the front or right from the brakes. i dont know much about that because i havent looked into it yet, sorry. but i haven't had the time unless its was dark or rainy. if someone could show me or tell me what i need to get that would be great.

also i will be towing either a dump trailer once or twice. or i plan on getting a truck and renting a car trailer to tow it with. a friend of mine and i go to haspen acres offroading and i used to drive down, but i want to start trailering a truck down so i can make it home if i break somethign.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go with a Prodigy brake controller you can get it pre-wired for your truck and just plug it in, you'll need a relay also (goes in the fuse panel). They seem to be the most popular one everyone goes with. I have a different brand myself (have to go look to see). I've been happy with mine too.
Your truck came with a pigtail (and a relay whan it was new if this is a factory tow package) to wire up most any of your choice though If you still have it. If not I might have the pigtail you can have, but you'll still need a relay to plug in the fuse panel.
The lights should already work except maybe the reverse circuit. You need the relay plugged in for it to work, you don't need the brake controller for this.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if it is a factory tow package or not, i dont have a hitch and from looking at the frame it never did. there is a piece of conduit coming back above the tire that i think might have something to do with the wiring but im not sure. as far as the pigtail, i have no idea what you are talking about. and i dont know if the relay was put in or if it is somewhere else in the truck( i remember reading that someone found one and didnt know what it went for in another forum.)

will this do the trick as far as the system goes, then i just need a plug in and wiring for back there?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/prodi...08220163QQrdZ1

Last edited by Bosaliniee; 05-08-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the connector under the dash then the wires are probably there. You can buy the trailer plug connector that includes the 7pin round and the 4 pin flat form Ford. I had to replace the one on my 02 once, it cost me around $40. It plugs in on the drivers side. It was a round plug if I remember right. Crawl under there and take a look it was around or close to the wheel well (but on the inside of the frame rail). Hoppy also make the same trailer plug connector, not sure about the cost of theirs.

Don't forget to get the trailer relay too. It plug in the fuse panel under the hood (drivers side on my 02).

That controller will work and it already has the right connector on it. I think most places sell them new for right around $100 but you would still need the pigtail (connector).

Quick Reply: trailer brake system and brake lights