Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Tires and sound and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires and sound and stuff

So I just put a cherry bomb glasspack in, and it sounds pretty cool, but I was wondering if I replaced the pipe after it with a 3 inch instead of a 2.5inch pipe would it make it sound any different? Or would it just be a waste of time and money? Also, while I'm on the subject of pipes, my exhaust pipe is lookin pretty gross and old, a little rusty, but not bad. Does anyone have any ways they like shine theirs or something to make them less ****ty looking? Lastly, my tires are gettin pretty bald, what's a good looking A/T tire to get that's a reasonable price? I wanna keep it at the 20 inch it is, I was never really into the whole giant tires thing, never really understood it. But yeah, what's a decent brand that a college student can afford? Uhh I guess that's it. Thanks to anyone who actually answers this, and sorry for the long post.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Yes it would sound different.

No it's not worth it.

Rust is just something you have to deal with. Get stainless next time. Or paint it black.

Any A/T tire is fine. Go to www.tirerack.com and look at the prices and reviews. There are no tires that people would say "oh that is a bad tire it will explode" or "those tires were bald in 10k miles".

I could list probably 10-20 A/T tires that would work fine. You'll have to be the judge of which ones you want to get.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Mountain Man

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got the Mastercraft Courser MSR studded snowsand like them. They are made by Cooper Tires and very reasonably priced but no mileage guarantee. look at these.

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Li...urser-AXT.aspx
Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 PM

Tackle, what kind of different? Deeper? Or just louder? Also, idk would black look funny? Cause the truck is white. Haha if I had the money, I would get an entire exhaust system in stainless steel. Well, I do have the money, but if I spent it, then I would have no money afterwards. And squishware, those tires look pretty good, especially for the deserty sort of area I live in (middle of nowhere, arizona)
Old 12-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

It will hardly (if any) make a difference at all.

What you want is tips (or A tip, depending on if you have dual exhaust or not). I'll post a picture to show you what I mean but basically, get a stainless tip a foot or two long (I prefer two, then you can't see the crusty old exhuast at all, just the shiny tips). Run it out the back straight or at a 45 degree angle (you could do a 90 but you can't hide the old rusty pipes then and it's pretty easy to do a 45.

Changing the size of your tail pipe isn't going to do anything however, you could go with duals but they're going to run you $500 give or take. The smaller the piping the "louder" it'll be to some degree, smaller piping (1 7/8" or 2 inch) will give it a crackly "redneck" sound and be "blatty" as we call it around here. I have 2.5 inch piping all the way back, glasspack duals and I'm happy with it however I wish I went with smaller piping. I like the gross redneck sound that a lot of people hate.

As far as tires, I haven't tried any of the cheapo no-name tires but I have owned more then a few sets of BFG all terrains (I love BFG white letters) and a few mud terrains as well. The all terrains are a better all around tire as the name would imply, they wear really good and I've been in situations where I've been totally shocked they never cut. Same as the mud terrains to some extent but they're much worse in the winter and wear a bit faster. They are better in the mud though.

My father loves Goodyear Wranglers. I'm not sure what the model name is but they're a white letter tire too and look like a medium kind of mud tire. I think they run a bit cheaper but don't quote me on that. I love BFG's myself however.

I'll get a better picture of my exhaust tomorrow to show you what I mean but long tips at 45's will hide all your old piping and it'll look like all your exhaust is chrome. Stock exhaust is always the best as far as rust resistant unless you do your new piping in full stainless however because most exhaust shops just use regular old carbon steel which likes to rust.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Title

Originally Posted by Rapsusklei
Tackle, what kind of different? Deeper? Or just louder? Also, idk would black look funny? Cause the truck is white. Haha if I had the money, I would get an entire exhaust system in stainless steel. Well, I do have the money, but if I spent it, then I would have no money afterwards. And squishware, those tires look pretty good, especially for the deserty sort of area I live in (middle of nowhere, arizona)
You can mess with Stainless or chome tip sizes. They will adjust the tone as well. Yes, it will be deeper. It could be perceived as louder but only a smaller muffler would make it louder.

I run a 3.5 or 4 or 4.5 I don't remember off hand.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Sportster: Oh, I think I'll get long exhaust tips then, cause $500 on exhaust seems like a lot, especially for a truck that I paid $1100 for. Any differences between chrome and stainless steel? Also, a pic would be awesome. Definitely going to keep it the same size. I'm not a big fan of the whole raspy redneck sound, but it's cool if you like if. To each his own you know? Tackle. Thanks. I'm gonna see about a 3.5, that should look good. Resonated, or not? I'm assuming not
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Title

Resonated? I guess I've never heard of them. Just search 3.5" outlet exhaust tip. Decide how long you want it. I think mine is a 12" or 8".

Get stainless if you plan on keeping the truck for awhile. Chrome will rust in a year or two.

3.5" is a good size. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Well uh... The truck got totaled last night. Got hit while stopped by someone doing 55, which caused me to hit someone else, and kind of sandwich between them. Thanks for the help though! Guess I'll just wait to see what happens with insurance and stuff
Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Title

Dang man, that sucks!

Glad you're OK (assume by you being on the forum).

Hope everything works out!

Quick Reply: Tires and sound and stuff