Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ticking sound???

Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ticking sound???

Hi and thanks for taking time to read.

I have a 2000 F150 4.6 102K miles

This sound has been getting louder. First if shift from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive I hear a single Tick almost a clank noise.

The real annoying noise is when in Drive going a low speed and start to accelarate I hear this ticking.. tick tick tick tick, and it gets faster as the speed increases if I let off the gas it will stop and may not continue until later.
I have checked mounting on the exaust, and I can not move the drive shaft when in park. The sound really seems to be coming from the rear of the truck.
Appreciate any ideas.
thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 AM

I have a '01 4.2 v6 with 133,000 on it and i have a faint tick in the motor but noticable and i have the "clank" from park to reverse. I took it to a trans shop and its gunna cost more for a tranny then the truck is worth so i just live with it but if you let the truck warm up does the ticking still occur, because mine is louder when the motor is cold but is still noticable just quieter?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 AM

after I posted the message, the truck now is vibrating when I accerlerate. So I have bought new U-Joints and going to replace those to see if this fixes the vibration/ticking/clank noises.
I will update this post once I get them swapped out.
thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Hi folks,

Crap... I had a mini-van that used to "clank" when I shifted from P to D and it ended up costing me over $2K. Had to rebuild the trany.

One day the mini-van was driving along just fine, and then the engine sounded like it was turning the loudest clicking machine invented. Remember when you would put cards on the forks on your bicycle? That is what is sounded like, only it sounded like the whole deck was on the forks.

Oh well, those days are in the past...

Mitch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking sound???