Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

is there a way to unload the torsion bars without the special tool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Default is there a way to unload the torsion bars without the special tool?

just wondering because i dont want to spend $150 on something ill only use once
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would strongly recommend you trying the loan a tool program at autozone. You put down a deposit on the tool (which is pretty much the cost of the tool) and when you return it you get all of your deposit back. There is a lot of pressure on the torsion bars and can be very dangerous to unload that pressure with the wrong tools.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 AM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Default c clamp

use a c clamp it works great. start with a 8 '' C clamp and take the screw flat end off so you end up with a round ball end. that end will fit in the tor. key hole and then u remove the bolt and let the tension off. easy as that.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM

When I did my TB's I raised the front end up off the ground and then backed out the set bolt. with the tires pulling down on the TB's it reversed the spring just enough. I then backed out the set bolts and the keyways were free. If you need to replace the keyways remember the TB's are friction set, so spray some penitrating oil on the front of the TB right where they fit into the lower control arms. I used a air hammer to push the TB's forward this so much easier than beating them with a hammer by hand. I then used a 5 ton claw puller to set the TB up enough to get the new keyways into place.

Hope this helps
Old 02-28-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

would a ball joint press work because i already have one of those
Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM

I was able to cut the top of the screw on a heavy duty C-clamp off and able to use that to load the torsions bars to allow you to pull the bolt out. But you will have to heat the Torsion key up with a oxy-ac torch or you might as well try not to even take them off. If you are not able to get enough torsion back out of the bar when you are putting the new ones in you might have to un-hook your upper a-arms just a easy two bolts on each side.

Quick Reply: is there a way to unload the torsion bars without the special tool?