Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

theft light flashing, truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default theft light flashing, truck won't start

Hey there, I have a 2003 F150 crew cab... been running fine, till tonight, my wife got home from the store, then we went to leave again after it sat for about half an hour, and it wouldn't fire up....starter would turn but the motor just wouldn't fire up...the "theft" light kept flashing in the dash also...I thought maybe my key was messed up, so I got the other key, and had the same problem still...

I am hoping someone on here knows what would be causing this. I need to have it fixed by morning. Thanks in advance for your help...

Nate.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Hokie

OH OH OH PICK ME! ME ME ME ME!!! hahah i had the same issue, u ready for this? and im sorry to tell u this but ur computer has forgotten which keys are coded. u need a coded key to start our trucks. for example my "hide-a-key" is not coded but is the same shape and will do everything but turn on the fuel pump and spark, so she turns over, opens up, and everything but no fire in the cyls. in the owners manual it says the dealer has to make a coded key if u dont have one so u might need to take this issue to them
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Have you tried jump starting it? My first guess is the battery..

Does the ignition crank over at all?

When you turn the key to the ACC position, do your dash lights illuminate, can you turn the A/C on?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Hokie

btw, i normally wouldnt help first time posters but this is an issue that sucks hardcore, i hope we can help u and u will become more active on our forum!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by willycavs10
OH OH OH PICK ME! ME ME ME ME!!! hahah i had the same issue, u ready for this? and im sorry to tell u this but ur computer has forgotten which keys are coded. u need a coded key to start our trucks. for example my "hide-a-key" is not coded but is the same shape and will do everything but turn on the fuel pump and spark, so she turns over, opens up, and everything but no fire in the cyls. in the owners manual it says the dealer has to make a coded key if u dont have one so u might need to take this issue to them
WTF? Any more information on this? How does this just occur out of the blue?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 PM
JUST ANOTHER SVT

Its the PATS system
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Hokie

Originally Posted by born_fisherman
WTF? Any more information on this? How does this just occur out of the blue?
no clue man, it just happened to me one day too! maybe a power loss?????? no idea but im pretty tight with the dealership (being as ive spend like 8 grand in there in the past year hahah) so they took care of it and they gave me a summary
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Hokie

Originally Posted by light351
Its the PATS system
thats the term i was looking for
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 PM

thanks guys...i'll stop in at the dealers tomorrow and see what they can do for me...I have been lurking here for quite some time, but never posted...this caught me off guard, and was hoping to get a quick answer....and ya'll came through...

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 PM

Exclamation Bad wire in Battery Junction Box

Had same issue...intermittent start once it started...both keys acted the same...left the keys with the dealer...indicated that power was being lost to the PCM and repaired bad wire in the battery junction box...seems be working fine now.

Quick Reply: theft light flashing, truck won't start