Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Temp guage always reads hot even when trucks cold.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp guage always reads hot even when trucks cold.

I have seen one or 2 post on this site before for similar problems but was never able to find a solution. I have a early 1997 f150 with a vin W (romeo) 4.6l v8 and the problem i am having is as soon as i turn my key on my truck whether it is cold or warm the temp gauge instantly pegs full hot. the truck does NOT over heat and i have tried unhooking both the sensors on the front of my intake manifold (behind alternator and by passenger head both on front of intake) and it made no affect on the gauge although the sensor for the gauge should have dropped to cold as i have read should happen and since the gauge pegs hot jumping the 2 wires will have no affect on the gauge to test the sensor. as far s i can see my engine does not have a cylinder head temp sensor and and the truck does not run bad at all at any point in time. it always runs great other that the lack of back pressure from rotted out cats which i have just not done yet. there is no check engine light on at all or even any stored codes except for egr insufficient flow which i have a new egr valve and tube which will go on when i pull the engine an trans to do the rear main seal and every other gasket an seal on both and the entire exhaust i guess im just wondering is there some way to test the wiring from the gauge sensor to the gauge itself or to test the gauge on its own. the only thing i have not done yet is pull the cluster and check for burnt of shorted circuits that i could possibly repair. all other gauges work just as they are intended but only half my cluster lights work though and it has been this way since i bought the truck this past september. thank you in advance for any suggetions and or solutuons you may have. im very mechanically inclined but have almost no patience for electrical

Last edited by truckguy3401; 03-05-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

You truck has a CHT and a ECT.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the same problem. Dicked with it a long time. Turned out to be the gauge. Got another cluster off of ebay and I'm back in business.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. Ill have to see if I can find the CHT and try testing/replacing that but I'm not sure if that's the cause the truck runs fine with no check engine light would be worth a try though. If I have to replace the cluster ill just dish out to the ford dealer so the miles on the odometer are accurate. Pulling the engine and trans soon so ill replace the cht then and see what I can do about the cluster at the same time

Quick Reply: Temp guage always reads hot even when trucks cold.