Tail lights not working - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 1997 - 2003 Ford F150
Log In 


Tail lights not working

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
danmit88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, OH
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to danmit88
Default Tail lights not working

I got pulled over yesturday for my tail lights being out. The four ways work and the brake lights work but my tail lights don't. I have checked the fuses and found only one that was blown, but it was for the rear auxillary outlet which I have never used. Maybe I have overlooked something. Does anybody know which fuse is for the tail lights?
__________________
2003 F150 FX4 5.4L V8
danmit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


-->
Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmit88 View Post
I got pulled over yesturday for my tail lights being out. The four ways work and the brake lights work but my tail lights don't. I have checked the fuses and found only one that was blown, but it was for the rear auxillary outlet which I have never used. Maybe I have overlooked something. Does anybody know which fuse is for the tail lights?

I have the same/similiar issue. 2001 F-150 XLT Off road 5.4L.
All other lights work other than tail lights, ie.. directionals, hazards & brake lights work, as well as the tail/brake light installed in my hitch reciever. All fuses are good,replaced bulbs and all quick connects to trailer lights. Still no Tail lights.
Really wish someone could offer advice. This is driving me crazy!
Thanks,
Paul
dogsmindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
whitetrucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: northern MN
Posts: 168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Tail lights are on a separate circuit from the brake/tail lights and there are two filaments in each bulb on the back end. I would look for corrosion or damage to the wiring harness at the rear of the truck , checking particularly the polarized connectors on the wiring. dont just eyeball them pull them apart, make sure things are clean, and reassemble with fresh di-electric grease. I would suspect a weather seal on one of those plugs has failed and may be what is giving you trouble.

hth,

whttrks
whitetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrucks View Post
Tail lights are on a separate circuit from the brake/tail lights and there are two filaments in each bulb on the back end. I would look for corrosion or damage to the wiring harness at the rear of the truck , checking particularly the polarized connectors on the wiring. dont just eyeball them pull them apart, make sure things are clean, and reassemble with fresh di-electric grease. I would suspect a weather seal on one of those plugs has failed and may be what is giving you trouble.

hth,

whttrks

Outstanding advice whttrks, Thank you. Though that wasn't the issue, I did find what it was due to your advice.
I retraced everything from front to back, this time around instead of just eyeballing I poked, tugged and examend more closely. I found a erroded wire that goes into the coupler that's in-line to both tail lights.
Thanks a bunch!
dogsmindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
whitetrucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: northern MN
Posts: 168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Sometimes it's not the destination, but the path taken. Glad to be of service.
whitetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Danny
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Highland, Ca
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

My trucks brake lights and turn signals don't work, it sounds like a wire shorted out in the steering wheel but i have no clue how to fix it. Any ideas??
xrider456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default My tail lights not working

2008 f150 My Tail reverse or brake lights are not working only thing working is the brake like on top of the cab. what do i need to do?
Greg_Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I had an issue on my 03 where I had no brake or signals at the rear only the brake light on top of the cab. Turned out to be the turn signal switch. I believe the exact terminology is multifunction switch. It's in the column. It controls wipers, high beams, turn signals and hazards. I was able to open mine up and clean it and it worked fine after that. Careful not to lose the small pieces if you open it up.
__________________
2011 Explorer XLT
2003 F150 Lariat SCrew.....mine
2003 F150 Lariat SCrew.....daughter's
1996 T-bird.....in progress.....son ain't driving yet

Last edited by LariatDriver; 08-15-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar
LariatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LariatDriver View Post
I had an issue on my 03 where I had no brake or signals at the rear only the brake light on top of the cab. Turned out to be the turn signal switch. I believe the exact terminology is multifunction switch. It's in the column. It controls wipers, high beams, turn signals and hazards. I was able to open mine up and clean it and it worked fine after that. Careful not to lose the small pieces if you open it up.
wipers work fine hazard working fine headlight even bright working fine. I don't know . thanks may use it for target practice everything in front works fine. I don't know.
Greg_Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Yeah it was the same for me. Everything was working but the rear brake lights and signals. My reverse lights were still working when I had this problem, though. Just thought it might help. Good luck.
__________________
2011 Explorer XLT
2003 F150 Lariat SCrew.....mine
2003 F150 Lariat SCrew.....daughter's
1996 T-bird.....in progress.....son ain't driving yet
LariatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.