Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Suspension questions...plural

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension questions...plural

Ok, got a 97 F-150 2wd with a 4.2L. Chassis has 240k on it but motor and trany were crate and only have 5k on them. The front end is all new (*****, control arms, sway bar, hubs, bearings....and the entire stearing system). Now, this truck is mine, but an emergency response vehicle in a Texas oilfield and has to be street legal. It works in very muddy and bumpy conditions most of the time. I got 16X8 steel street lock wheels and 265/75 BFG All Terrain T/A KO's and my set of Rancho RSX's are on the way. My first question is about urethane bushings for the rear leaf's. I got them and now am wondering how hard these are to change, I keep seeing people with blow torches and don't wanna do that, is it easy to press out the originals? Second, I need a few inches for this truck to get where I need it to go, are 1 1/2 or 2 inch front levelers gonna hurt my new front end? And, with the milage on this truck (all highway) are the front springs prone to have sagged or compressed by now and need replacing to help get the height that I need? Thanks for the help, I've been surfing this site for weeks and these are the questions that I couldn't find the answers to yet.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

My first question is about urethane bushings for the rear leaf's. I got them and now am wondering how hard these are to change, I keep seeing people with blow torches and don't wanna do that, is it easy to press out the originals?
ive seen some of these just fall right out... and other ones be a real chore to do...i have never did a set on this same model of truck.. have did a few older chevys and what not

Second, I need a few inches for this truck to get where I need it to go, are 1 1/2 or 2 inch front levelers gonna hurt my new front end? And, with the milage on this truck (all highway) are the front springs prone to have sagged or compressed by now and need replacing to help get the height that I need?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories
^thats the only 2wd leveling kit i could find for this year of truck... and that one says it requires aftermarket control arms...and also if you do a front leveling kit you need to have the front end realligned
i have seen some were where these trucks with the 4.2 around that year the springs go bad... and do sag... if you were worried about it id buy a new set of springs and shock...

Thanks for the help, I've been surfing this site for weeks and these are the questions that I couldn't find the answers to yet.
You welcome!!!... and welcome to the site if you have anymore questions fire them up...

Hope you like the site here
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding! I think I will go ahead with new springs and factory spring caps and maybe that will give me an inch. I would be good with that. Got lots of work to do to this one. Working with a fabricator now on a new front bumper that will increase entry angle and house a set of PIAA fogs and a set of driving lights. Than posi-track rear end. I will get some pics posted on here soon. I will no doubt have more questions as the build goes on. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Suspension questions...plural