Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

stuttering again/Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default stuttering again/Tranny?

Ok I had this problem at 45-51 MPH and changed all plugs an coils. Well come to find out its my Torque convertor and solenoid. Im getting around to changing it shortly.

Well I noticed yesterday going down the HWY at 80 MPH and that dang thing started doing it then. I dont this the convertor would cause this at this MPH. What about the injectors, only does it when im slowly speeding up, like coasting.

Thats the only other thing I can think of would be causing this. Unless its the actually tranny slipping. But i dont think thats the case.

I asked the dealer about changing the tranny fluid and flushing it and they told me no because it has 93K miles on it and it would ruin the tranny. How much should i believe this as well?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yea 5.4L
Old 11-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man am I glad to see this post. I have a 2003 FX4 that is doing the exact same thing. between 45-50 after coasting i can get back into the gas and it starts to studder.....any help in this matter would be sweet as i too am a little hesitant to hear what the dealer has to say about it. Thx guys. I have the 4.6L
Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Did either of you figure out what the problem was with your F-150?

I'm having a similar problem...5.4 L, 2001, about 73,000 miles...get up to about 40 mph, coast for a bit, then get back on it and it "stutters." I can't rule out anything, could be engine or tranny, no "service engine light" or any other warnings, just the stuttering.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Originally Posted by levi127
Ok I had this problem at 45-51 MPH and changed all plugs an coils. Well come to find out its my Torque convertor and solenoid. Im getting around to changing it shortly.

Well I noticed yesterday going down the HWY at 80 MPH and that dang thing started doing it then. I dont this the convertor would cause this at this MPH. What about the injectors, only does it when im slowly speeding up, like coasting.

Thats the only other thing I can think of would be causing this. Unless its the actually tranny slipping. But i dont think thats the case.

I asked the dealer about changing the tranny fluid and flushing it and they told me no because it has 93K miles on it and it would ruin the tranny. How much should i believe this as well?
Originally Posted by shrtknif
Man am I glad to see this post. I have a 2003 FX4 that is doing the exact same thing. between 45-50 after coasting i can get back into the gas and it starts to studder.....any help in this matter would be sweet as i too am a little hesitant to hear what the dealer has to say about it. Thx guys. I have the 4.6L
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 PM

I have/had a problem like this. Believe it or not, putting HEAT in the fuel worked, the cheap stuff. I would be other injector cleaners in and they didnt do it. The only thing that worked was Heat, and sooner or later your check engine light will come on. But if you get it to running right for awhile the light goes off on it's own. I think it is so many start-stop cycles it resets itself. I have had it come and go over the years. Keep an eye on all of your vaccuum hoses too.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 AM

Thanks so much for responding. I'm going to have my regular mechanic take a look at it tomorrow. I'll let you know what he comes up with...

Is "Heat" an injector cleaner? I'm not familiar with that name.

Thanks again.

Edit: My mechanic changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs and something else (sorry can't remember) and my DH says it's running great! Yay!

Thanks for your help,
Sue

Last edited by sooze; 06-19-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Dirty South's Finest

yeah do not change the tranny fluid my daddy had it changed in his truck and 3,000 miles later he had to have a tranny put in it. But im having this same studder problem with my truck but it has almost 200,000 miles on it
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Hokie

Originally Posted by tfarms
yeah do not change the tranny fluid my daddy had it changed in his truck and 3,000 miles later he had to have a tranny put in it. But im having this same studder problem with my truck but it has almost 200,000 miles on it
i hate to be a post resurrector but i have the same problem with my 02 4.6l and couldnt figure it out, its not like a fast "shudder" per say but its like a pulsing "jerk" kind of thing, i havent gotten new plugs yet and im at 94k, ive been told i need them, have we finally established that it is plugs that solves the problem???
Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by sooze
Thanks so much for responding. I'm going to have my regular mechanic take a look at it tomorrow. I'll let you know what he comes up with...

Is "Heat" an injector cleaner? I'm not familiar with that name.

Thanks again.

Edit: My mechanic changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs and something else (sorry can't remember) and my DH says it's running great! Yay!

Thanks for your help,
Sue
It's me again...the plug fix was short-lived. We finally did get the "COPS" changed and NOW it's fixed! LOL! My F-150 is running great! Hope this helps someone.

Sue
Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Hokie

Originally Posted by sooze
it's me again...the plug fix was short-lived. We finally did get the "cops" changed and now it's fixed! Lol! My f-150 is running great! Hope this helps someone.

Sue
"cops"?

Quick Reply: stuttering again/Tranny?