Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped

Hey guys I'm at my wits end. I have a 1998 4.6 4x4.Several months ago my transmission went out. I rebuilt the trans reassembled the truck. Started it, it was fine I went through the gears it got sluggish at reverse was fine in neutral, went to drive, it seemed like it hit a wall , it wouldn't drop into drive and it wouldn't go past drive On the column. As soon as it hit the stopping point at drive on the column it died and wouldn't restart. I let it sit until just a little while ago. Went to start it and nothing. Like the motor is turning but its like its not igniting. Turns as long as the starter is engaged. The truck has been sitting since the beginning of may. I have no idea what's going on. Hoping you guys could help.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Seabrookactual
Hey guys I'm at my wits end. I have a 1998 4.6 4x4.Several months ago my transmission went out. I rebuilt the trans reassembled the truck. Started it, it was fine I went through the gears it got sluggish at reverse was fine in neutral, went to drive, it seemed like it hit a wall , it wouldn't drop into drive and it wouldn't go past drive On the column. As soon as it hit the stopping point at drive on the column it died and wouldn't restart. I let it sit until just a little while ago. Went to start it and nothing. Like the motor is turning but its like its not igniting. Turns as long as the starter is engaged. The truck has been sitting since the beginning of may. I have no idea what's going on. Hoping you guys could help.

Sounds like the torque converter did not get filled prior to replacing
Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You can check the OBDII port and see if any codes have been set. This might give you better starting point. If you get codes, then post them and we can help from there. This can be for either the trans or no start.

I believe you have a 4R70w transmission. so if you do, then the shift linkage has to be 100% correct or it will give you some of the symptoms you're describing with the transmission. The tv cable must be set correctly also. I won't go into the internals or the v/body aspects of this transmission. I'll leave that to the one's who are more reliable/familiar in this particular area. I do my own rebuilds but I would never claim to be proficient in this one area. The only one's I've never gotten ASE certified in was AT or AC. I don't comment much on those topic, for that reason.

Now to the no start but engine turning over. When you first turn on your key, does the fuel pump make a noise? It will sound for 2-3 seconds. A humming sound from behind the cab, left side. If not, then check the fuel pump fuse. We can go from there.
The following users liked this post:
everitt89 (09-22-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by soldier6329
Sounds like the torque converter did not get filled prior to replacing
The torque converter was full up when I put it back on
Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Seabrookactual
The torque converter was full up when I put it back on
That's irrelevant anyway. A dry TC will fill up in a matter of seconds with a properly functioning front pump. Sounds like your linkage needs adjusting, however, this has nothing to do with your truck not starting. You have something else going on there.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:19 PM

I replaced the relay, fuse, fuel filter and fuel pump. Turned key a few times to see if the pump would build up pressure. Nothing. Same result engine turns but no start up. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
You can check the OBDII port and see if any codes have been set. This might give you better starting point. If you get codes, then post them and we can help from there. This can be for either the trans or no start.

I believe you have a 4R70w transmission. so if you do, then the shift linkage has to be 100% correct or it will give you some of the symptoms you're describing with the transmission. The tv cable must be set correctly also. I won't go into the internals or the v/body aspects of this transmission. I'll leave that to the one's who are more reliable/familiar in this particular area. I do my own rebuilds but I would never claim to be proficient in this one area. The only one's I've never gotten ASE certified in was AT or AC. I don't comment much on those topic, for that reason.

Now to the no start but engine turning over. When you first turn on your key, does the fuel pump make a noise? It will sound for 2-3 seconds. A humming sound from behind the cab, left side. If not, then check the fuel pump fuse. We can go from there.
I replaced fuel relay, fuse, pump, and filter. No codes. Recently replaced my gem but not sure if that had any bearing on it. Truck still won't start pump won't even kick on to build pressure
Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Not why your ignoring the problem, - fix the selector so that it functions correctly. Then adjust the range sensor. Hell, there is instructions for this all over the net.

Quick Reply: Stumped