Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Stripped Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stripped Oil Drain Plug

I have a 2003 f150 5.4. So the other day i stripped my drain plug.... i know stupid! Anyways its in there and leaking. If i turn it it just turn and turns and turns.

I heard that alot of the time the plug strips and not the pan. My question is how do i get it out without damaging the threads on the pan?

If it is the pan and not the plug then im screwed. Im wondering if there would be a way to plug it temperarily to get it to a shop if its the threads on the pan and not the plug.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Go to your local parts store, auto zone, pep boys etc. and ask them for a piggy back self tapping oil drain plug. I do not remember the thread size for our trucks but they should be able to look up the info. Follow the directions on pqckage. The piggy back one has a smaller plug inserted into the big plug. That way you will not have to take out the self-tapping plug again. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
SonnyL (09-26-2023)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 PM

I should'nt be worried about the shavings getting in the engine?

Could i just try a regular plug or should i wait to get a self tapping plug?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 PM

Do i need to pull the pan to self tap it?

If i wanted to change the oil pan would i have to lift the engine? I thought no because i thought i could take off the crossmember but its wleded to the frame . Now im thinking i do?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 AM

Chances are you assed up the pan threads not the threads on the plug. Take a pair of vise grips and pull on the old bolt as you loosen to try to get it off. Yew you have to lift the engine to remove oil pan. Dont know how much room you would need to pull it off.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

To get it out, take a flat screwdriver under edge of bolt and twist to put pressure on it. Turn the bolt, screwdriver will slip out just put it back in and turn some more. I own lube and oil shops. Get a new 14mm plug and tap. Clean the threads up and install new plug. If it's too boogered up, buy a plug that has rubber on one end and drywall type expansion fold out on the end that goes in the pan. They work very well and plenty of room inside pan for it on a ford, the crank is a ways away from bottom of pan.

Don't mess with the self tapping piggyback stuff. If you have to have a plug, buy a 14.5 mm oversize tap and plug. It's sold because Honda is also a 14mm with a different thread type. Honda like to strip because they use a metal gasket and require a lot of torque to seal properly.

Good luck it's not that hard to fix.
The following users liked this post:
2002FX4 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

No, unless you tap it all the way in. Do 5.4 have steel pan? Do magnet sticks on the pan? Why not a very powerful magnet from a broken hard drive.

Instead of removing the oil pan, Why not fill it with some oil lift opposite side where drain plug is & remove the plug.

Last edited by w0lvez; 05-09-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

sdmartin is spot on. More than likely there is damage to the plug and pan. The screw driver explanation works well. Before you do that though, go to a auto parts store and buy/rent a 14X1.5 Thread Cleaning Tool (here's a link of the tool I'm talking about) and a new oil pan drain plug (size is also 14x1.5).

http://www.servicechamp.com/drain-pl...ools/18114.asp

Once you get the tool and you've removed the stripped plug, you'll insert the Thread Cleaning Tool in the hole and then using either a 12mm or 13mm socket and drive, you'll turn the Thread Cleaning Tool clockwise, allowing the cleaning tool to work its way in the pan. Since your oil pan is steel (not aluminum and only about 1/4 inch thick), you'll only need to screw it in about half way and then back it out. When you're finished with that, install the new plug and ONLY TORQUE THE PLUG TO 10FT LBS!!!! Do not over tighten it, otherwise, you'll damage the plug and pan again.

If the pan is really messed up and what sdmartin and I suggested doesn't work, then the item that sdmartin is talking about is called a Pan Saver. It's a temporary plug (cannot be removed once installed) that works great until you can have the oil pan replaced. Here's another link of the plug we're talking about:

http://www.servicechamp.com/oil-drai...ets/11575B.asp

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by FordRoushFan; 05-09-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM

I have used the piggyback plug with zero problems. I stripped the plug on my 2002 explorer in 2007 and sold it in 2011. No problems or leaks, not a drip. The way I see it, if automobile makers thought a rubber plug was good enough then every vehicle would come with one. In a emergency they would be ok, but the piggyback is a solid and permenant fix and no lifting engine to remove oil pan. Just my opinion
Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

My only problem with a piggyback, depending on brand they can be hard to install straight.

Quick Reply: Stripped Oil Drain Plug