Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Strange things happening, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange things happening, need some help

Two things happened last night that kind of boggled me, the first thing I was driving up the road and the engine shut off out of the blue. I had no steering but still had brakes thank god, I slipped into a parking lot and it started right back up no problems. It has an aftermarket remote start so I was thinking it had to be dealing with that maybe?

The other problem was driving home, once I slowed down coming into my neighborhood the rpms dropped and it wasn't running right at all. Barely could get it up a hill it was shaking and jumping so bad. I shut it off and started right back again, drove around the block like nothing had happened. I have no clue what it might be, I have to drive to Nashville later today so any comments on what this might be? Thank yall!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:12 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Are any codes being thrown would be my first question? Does the check engine light blink (indicates a misfire?)

The more experienced members will need more details to help you:
Year
Engine
2x4/4x4
Miles
etc
Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM

I don't remember exactly, I'm pretty sure it didn't flash or even come on.

It is a 2001 5.4 4x4 Lariat with 117,000 miles
Old 02-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a bunch of issues that won't throw a code that can be causing this.
It sounds fuel related as though something is intermittently blocking the flow.
Clogged strainer/debris in the fuel tank.
Partially clogged fuel filter.
Fuel pressure regulator beginning to fail (although when this fails it's usually done without any previous issues).
Possibly an injector beginning to fail but that should throw a code.

I suggest replacing the fuel filter (should be under the drivers seat, under the cab along the frame) and checking the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. If it's wet inside you regulator is bad. These are the easiest to check and least expensive to repair/replace. Do you remember when the fuel filter was replaced last?

The fuel pressure regulator is on top of the engine, drivers side about 1/2 way in the fuel rail. It's round, little bigger than a quarter, not quite as big as a half dollar, with a single vacuum line in the center. The vacuum line should be dry inside.

The strainer is a filter located at the draw end of the fuel pump assembly. I wouldn't suspect that this is the issue unless someone dumped small rocks or dirt in your fuel tank. These can be replaced without purchasing the pump assembly and takes 4-6 hours to DIY.....and involves dropping the fuel tank or removing the bed. The pump assembly is inside the top of the tank.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by RCButler
There are a bunch of issues that won't throw a code that can be causing this.
It sounds fuel related as though something is intermittently blocking the flow.
Clogged strainer/debris in the fuel tank.
Partially clogged fuel filter.
Fuel pressure regulator beginning to fail (although when this fails it's usually done without any previous issues).
Possibly an injector beginning to fail but that should throw a code.

I suggest replacing the fuel filter (should be under the drivers seat, under the cab along the frame) and checking the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. If it's wet inside you regulator is bad. These are the easiest to check and least expensive to repair/replace. Do you remember when the fuel filter was replaced last?

The fuel pressure regulator is on top of the engine, drivers side about 1/2 way in the fuel rail. It's round, little bigger than a quarter, not quite as big as a half dollar, with a single vacuum line in the center. The vacuum line should be dry inside.

The strainer is a filter located at the draw end of the fuel pump assembly. I wouldn't suspect that this is the issue unless someone dumped small rocks or dirt in your fuel tank. These can be replaced without purchasing the pump assembly and takes 4-6 hours to DIY.....and involves dropping the fuel tank or removing the bed. The pump assembly is inside the top of the tank.
Put a new fuel filter in, which was much needed, sadly it wasn't the fuel regulator or the filter. It's in the shop now so I'll keep yall posted on what it was. Have to drive 600 miles Saturday and with class I couldn't work on it myself.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Update: got a call from Ford, it was misfiring on cylinder #4 and #7. Replacing those coil packs and all 8 new spark plugs, not a cheap fix but need it done so oh well. Messed up at a bad time