Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Strange smell!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange smell!!!!

Hey guys, I have a 2000 F-150 v8 ext cab with just over 122,000 miles. recently I've been smelling a rich scent of radiator coolant coming from my truck. It's not over heating. The temp needle always goes to the same spot and doesnt goes up anymore to indicate the truck is starting to run hot! I dont hear any boiling or fizzing sounds that would let me know that i might have a leak. And there is no puddle of water or green coolant on the ground when I park my truck. I checked the coolant level and it was a little low but not to bad so I added a little more coolant, not even 2-3 cups. (If that) I still smell it though and it bugs the out of me!!!!! My truck stills run great! No jerks when I pull off. I even locked my keys inside while its was running with the a/c on (Dont ask how I did that!!!!) It took the AAA guy almost 2 hours to get there and my truck NEVER over heated!!! That was about a year ago. If anyone has any ideas what could be going on with my truck please help out. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont know the problem, but i bet it was a little chilly after he finally got inside after 2 hours with the ac on haha, if it works anything like my ac it gets damn cold
Old 03-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Funny Smell

I would say the your heater core is leaking ? Quite a job to replace it
I have heard. When I got that smell I put some radiator sealer in the
engine. That seemed to work so far. I have 177,000 on my F-150. You
also could experience some fogging on the windshield. Let us know
what you find
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you noticed a film on the inside of your windows...kind of like residue from a smoker or diesel engine?

If so, my bet is that your heater core has sprung a leak. It doesn't have to be much but the air travelling through it will carry it into the cab.

The slow lack of coolant loss would lead me to believe this, also.

Quick Reply: Strange smell!!!!