Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Strange metal pinging sound and collapsed hose from vapor purge

Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Strange metal pinging sound and collapsed hose from vapor purge

Have a 99 4.2 F-150 that keeps popping up a p0174 bank 2 lean code.

In my efforts to locate the cause of said code I've found the following.

Hole in catalytic converter, collapsed hose leading from the evap purge valve (hayes manual says its vapor control valve) to intake manifold, and weird metal pinging sound.

I replaced the hose at O'Reilly's last night but even the new one looks ready to collapse (soon as I fired truck up I saw the hose crimp at the bends). Not sure whats causing this. There is some evap valve that says it needs to be 1psi. Is something going on with this?

The metal pinging sound also has me worried. It sounds almost like its underneath driver side but a little forward from directly underneath. It only makes this noise at a slight increase (and I mean slight) in rpm while in park and idling or while driving and only when I'm at a cruising speed and give it a small amount of pressure on the pedal. Almost like something is rattling with the small increase in vibration from the engine but goes away when more gas is given. Hopefully that made sense.

I plugged the hole in the converter last night and reset the code but haven't driven it to see if that was indeed the culprit.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The noise under the truck may be pieces of the cat bouncing around in there. Mine scared me with that one.
Post up a pic of the hose that is collapsing.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.fordf150.net/photos/showp...hp/photo/37828

Not sure how to post an image but it leads from this part to an elbow underneath the intake manifold just under the throttle body. The other hose comes from the gas tank and their is another solid vacuum line that is really small leading somewhere behind the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange metal pinging sound and collapsed hose from vapor purge