Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default straight pipes

whats the worst that could happen if i decide to go straight pipes? i want a loud *** exhaust system and i dont make enough money to just go out and buy 300-700 dollar exhaust systems. my trucks been a work in progress and been trying to find ways to make it stand out more for cheap. any ideas are helpful even if it does not deal with the exhaust i love modifying my truck but here lately ive ran out of things. i found a cold air intake for 50 bucks that adds 5-15 percent more power and stuff so i might buy it and see how it works
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

With straights, i assume you mean, catless, and no muffler? True straights? I've learned on here some people have different interpretations of what "straights" are haha. But i mean, from what i know about it, the worst that can happen is the CEL coming on...as long as you do it right atleast. Went to school with tons of guys that had true straights on all makes, Fords, Chevy's, Dodge's, and Diesels and the Fords sounded the best. Chevy would be a close second, but anyway, yea it'll be loud as and you'll get alot of head turning. I say go for it
Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punkorpunket
whats the worst that could happen if i decide to go straight pipes? i want a loud *** exhaust system and i dont make enough money to just go out and buy 300-700 dollar exhaust systems. my trucks been a work in progress and been trying to find ways to make it stand out more for cheap. any ideas are helpful even if it does not deal with the exhaust i love modifying my truck but here lately ive ran out of things. i found a cold air intake for 50 bucks that adds 5-15 percent more power and stuff so i might buy it and see how it works

dont go too cheap. itll work for a while but youll end up spending more money in the long run. i went cheap and now have been through 8 exhausts. finally found out close to what i want now imma change it one last time. research and find the tone you like. if you want really loud i suggest true duals remove 2 or all 4 cats and run magnapacks or dynomax bullets or any straight through design muffler. if you want super loud and can deal with loss of power you can do true duals and true straight pipes as in no cats or mufflers just straight pipes. but with that i guarantee therell be a check engine light and hell of alot of power loss. and it will most likely sound like complete ****. if you got any more questions let me know. i know plenty about exhaust on the 97-03 trucks
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM

what would the power loss be with straight pipes, i am talking no muffler no cats.i dont really want to lose power though. and i want something that sounds mean but affordable. something to do for the next 6 months to a year till i can save up enough money to buy a nice exhaust system.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took off my flow master cat back kit off (still have cats) i can tell drasicly the difference in power. At low end coming from the light i feel heavy till i reach second gear. So i would imagine with cats off ude get double the effect
Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM

so sounds like i need to atleast run cats on there. well if anyone else comes up with some input/ advice on this i would love to hear it
Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM

um get the cherry bomb extreme dual outlets from the guy on ebay and bump it up to 2.5" pipe and tips for 220 shipped
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM

ill have to check into that, does it sound good?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, they sound great. Especially if you take the back cats off, but even with them on, its a good sound, and plenty loud
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM

go with high flow cats and no muffler if thats too lound go with bullets and if straights ant lound dig deep into your pockes and get lts ive in vested about a grand into my exsaust from changing it so do it right the first time

Quick Reply: straight pipes