Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Stoopid Slave Cylinders!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
'99 F-150 S/C 4WD 4.6L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoopid Slave Cylinders!!!

I've recently made a few posts on the intro portion of the site, but wanted to know what everyone else thought on my situation.
-'98 f-150 s/c 4x4 5sp 4.6L
In removing the trans/x-case, is it nesscary to remove the torsion bars? Does the rear crossmember need to be removed? All tension has been relieved from the bars, but they appear to be seized to the keys. I have NO impact tools whatsoever, (air chisel w/ hammer).
I'm dying for more opinions. I'm 2 or 3 days into this, and the farthest I've got is both driveshafts out. If I could get the bars out, if need be, I could start "coasting" through this.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE......Can someone help!?!?!?!

P.S.: Thanks again HiFlo50!
P.P.S.: If this IS a repost, my deepest apologies!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by whitey210
I've recently made a few posts on the intro portion of the site, but wanted to know what everyone else thought on my situation.
-'98 f-150 s/c 4x4 5sp 4.6L
In removing the trans/x-case, is it nesscary to remove the torsion bars? Does the rear crossmember need to be removed? All tension has been relieved from the bars, but they appear to be seized to the keys. I have NO impact tools whatsoever, (air chisel w/ hammer).
I'm dying for more opinions. I'm 2 or 3 days into this, and the farthest I've got is both driveshafts out. If I could get the bars out, if need be, I could start "coasting" through this.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE......Can someone help!?!?!?!

P.S.: Thanks again HiFlo50!
P.P.S.: If this IS a repost, my deepest apologies!
Looks like no one else here has had to replace a slave cylinder on their own before. After looking at my truck and going back to my experience on the Jeep I did I have a little more insight. Now where to start. lol

Obviously you need to unbolt and remove the transmission cross memeber, unbolt the transmission from the motor, and unbolt the shifter from topside in the cab.

If you are strong, have a good jack and a friend to help you, you may be able to rotate the tranny enough and slide is back enough, so its over the torsion bar cross beam, and then you can access the clutch/flywheel/clave cylinder. But this is from looking at my truck and I do have a 3" body lift so it looks like there's room to me, but your truck may be different.

If that does not work, you will more then likely have to figure out a way to separate the torsion keys from the bar, which maybe seized from rust. I would spray the key and bar area with a generous coating of PB Blaster and let it soak for a while. There is a hole in the back of the torsion bar beam that allows access to the center of the bar so you can punch it free from the key. To me, that looks like the only way to lower the tranny without removing the transfer case from the actually transmission.

Only other thought would be to use a small torch to heat the key enough so it expands. The torsion bar is hardened so it will not expand, just the cast key will.

Good luck.
-Craig
Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shortest and easiest way would be to leave the crossmember and torsion bars in place. Its a little tight but I usually unbolt everything and take the rear trans mount off, then slide the whole assy back on top of the crossmember.. It gives you just enough room to get in and get the slave changed.
If not then yes the crossmember needs to be removed, doesnt you'res have the removeable center, I cant remember w/o looking at one, might be the explorer im thinking of? pretty sure you can do it without screwin with the torsion bars
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ktmboyz
Shortest and easiest way would be to leave the crossmember and torsion bars in place. Its a little tight but I usually unbolt everything and take the rear trans mount off, then slide the whole assy back on top of the crossmember.. It gives you just enough room to get in and get the slave changed.
If not then yes the crossmember needs to be removed, doesnt you'res have the removeable center, I cant remember w/o looking at one, might be the explorer im thinking of? pretty sure you can do it without screwin with the torsion bars
No removable center. It's a one piece bar. Here's how it looks on my 99.
Attached Thumbnails Stoopid Slave Cylinders!!!-img_5755-1-.jpg   Stoopid Slave Cylinders!!!-img_5756-1-.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya i cant keep em all straight, ive done more than i care to count
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
'99 F-150 S/C 4WD 4.6L

Thanks again to all of you, I was lookin' last night....There may be enough room to disconnect the x-case from the trans, and give it a twist. HiFlo, the center crossmember does appear to be removable. There are 3 nuts on the backside of the frame on each side. It looks to me like you remove the 6 nuts, 2 trans mount nuts, and give each side of the x-member a slight inward push, it would come out. I'll let ya'll know how she goes. Just spent more $$ on some decent tools, AGAIN!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by whitey210
Thanks again to all of you, I was lookin' last night....There may be enough room to disconnect the x-case from the trans, and give it a twist. HiFlo, the center crossmember does appear to be removable. There are 3 nuts on the backside of the frame on each side. It looks to me like you remove the 6 nuts, 2 trans mount nuts, and give each side of the x-member a slight inward push, it would come out. I'll let ya'll know how she goes. Just spent more $$ on some decent tools, AGAIN!
Good luck, post some pictures if you can.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 AM
'99 F-150 S/C 4WD 4.6L

brief update...Went up to the Harley dealership where I used to work, and talked to a few of the techs. To see if they had an air hammer in their boxes. Got one. Got home. tried for a while to push the bar forward through the keys, and the LCA. No luck. Then, I had what alcoholics call a "moment of clarity". There's a tiny amount of room to work in, on the front side of the crossmember, where the t-bars go through. Just enough room to fit a bit from an air hammer in. Of course, this dawned on me about 45 min. ago. But, I gave it a shot just long enough, so no one would call the cops thinking that there was a gang shootout with full-auto 9mm, outside their front door( I don't live in the best part of Omaha, believe me, there are MUCH worse). But, It worked! I've got about 30-60 sec. on the driver's side, and who knows how long on the pass. side. WOOHOO!!! It's lame, but dammit, I'm happy as hell!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM

LOL, nice! Now it should be smooth sailing. Isn't there a better sense of self accomplishment doing it yourself?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 PM
'99 F-150 S/C 4WD 4.6L

HA HA HA.....Got the bastards!!! They're shiny now, in two spots...i'll post pics at a later time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stoopid Slave Cylinders!!!