Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Stock stereo head unit

Old 12-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock stereo head unit

Does anyone know how much power per channel the stock head unit puts out in the 2002 F-150 supercrew?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I Missed Page 47!

It's something like 8 watts per channel at 4 ohms.. Best to go aftermarket..
Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 AM

Thanks. I don't plan on going too flashy as the tweekers here will bust your windows out (in broad daylight on a busy street) for any kind of aftermarket deck. I lost a decent Kenwood deck, awesome Kicker amp and Kicker solo baric subs out of my last truck. $4000 worth of gear and damage.

I figured if I left the stock deck in, everything else would be out of site and out of mind. I was thinking about going with 6X8 Infinity Kappa in the doors and was hoping that my stock head unit would have enough power to push them without an amp. Mostly because of the stock unit not having preamp outs is so inconvenient. Might just have to buy one of those preamp converters.

Last edited by sped79; 12-06-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 AM

Default Aftermarket Stereo

I hear that! The same tweekers just took my deck about a month ago. I work downtown Seattle at night and street parking is free. Well, it certainly cost me. Now I got an alarm and a detachable face. Fortunately the building security now lets me park in a secured loading dock. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Stoner

Your best bet is to not turn the radio up anywhere near where you park, day or night and with or without an alarm. This only attracts attention to your vehicle.
Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine, Bose, Kenwood, or any other decals should NOT be placed on the vehicle for the same reason.

It is not the power output that you should be looking into for the stock unit.. You should be looking into the distortion levels and output frequencies if you want to amplify it.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
2003 F150 SuperCrew

Agreed ^

I went through looking all mine right in the driveway so now I no longer keep anything in the truck. The new Kenwood deck has a detachable face and an alarm is soon to follow.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 PM

I was following all of Cain's suggestions minus removing my detachable face, they were just on a spree. Busy mall parking lot in broad daylight, even. They got 3 other cars that day. They must have been looking into peoples cars, because I was the only one with any extra equipment besides the deck. I won't go nuts with stereo equipment any more for this reason. I just want something loud and clear, not bone rattling I'm pretty sure that 8 watts/channel won't sound too loud and clear without some help from an amp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock stereo head unit