Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Stock --> Hi Flow Cats [help]

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock --> Hi Flow Cats [help]

Hey guys, quick question.

Im sure this has been asked everywhere but i couldn't find it. I have a 5.4, 2001 F150 ; stock w/ 4 cats. I was wondering if i replaced the front 2 cats with high flows, if I could delete the 2 rear cats without tripping any sensors. Mainly just looking for a little more sound from my exhaust seeing how I spent 450$ on it, and my 6 banger is 10x louder. Thank you in advance for the help.

P.s. I'm not interest in cutting them off completely/straight piping, etc.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by mminervino

Im sure this has been asked everywhere but i couldn't find it. I have a 5.4, 2001 F150 ; stock w/ 4 cats. I was wondering if i replaced the front 2 cats with high flows, if I could delete the 2 rear cats without tripping any sensors. Mainly just looking for a little more sound from my exhaust seeing how I spent 450$ on it, and my 6 banger is 10x louder. Thank you in advance for the help.

Just get mil eliminators and call it a day.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by mminervino

That's not how it's done. Your front cats ARE high flows. Remove the two rear less restrictive cats for better everything and replace them with a straight pipe.

Your still within programed parameters ...margins, so you WILL NOT get a CEL IF your connections are tight. Never use eliminators as they will screw up the switch....unfortunately, that's the wrong way as well

Anything other than that is either just wrong or your going to spend uneeded cash to get what you want.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have rear cars removed with my y pipe dumping under the cab. No CEL
Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
That's not how it's done. Your front cats ARE high flows. Remove the two rear less restrictive cats for better everything and replace them with a straight pipe.

Your still within programed parameters ...margins, so you WILL NOT get a CEL IF your connections are tight. Never use eliminators as they will screw up the switch....unfortunately, that's the wrong way as well

Anything other than that is either just wrong or your going to spend uneeded cash to get what you want.
I read on here not all that long ago that the front cats are the more restrictive of the cats and that the rear ones do more work. Have I heard wrong?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
I read on here not all that long ago that the front cats are the more restrictive of the cats and that the rear ones do more work. Have I heard wrong?
Nope,your exactly right
Old 07-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

The primary point of the front cats are to heat the exhaust where the rear cats do most of the work.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
The primary point of the front cats are to heat the exhaust where the rear cats do most of the work.
Totally disagree with that.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Totally disagree with that.
You can if you'd like. But I have seen first hand what the heat difference is between in the to in a well maintained vehicle and the difference in heat is absolutely astonishing. BTW the what Ford Rep tell in emmission classes
Old 07-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Wait so I can replace my rear cats with a straight pipe and not throw a code????

Quick Reply: Stock --> Hi Flow Cats [help]