Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Steering wheel jerks when braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Phil Starr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel jerks when braking

Hi folks,
My problem is that I'm getting a very slight pull to the right when braking in my 99 F150 XLT 4x2. If I let go of the wheel it jerks slightly to the right when I hit the brakes. It has just under 103K miles. I just had new front rotors and pads installed. The calipers were cleaned and checked for sticking. I had all the ball joints replaced last year and haven't driven much since due to being unemployed. I've also just gotten new tires. This started after having the new brakes installed, and before the new tires. It isn't very bad, but it still bugs me. The mechanic that did the brakes speculated that maybe some front end parts are worn, but I'm convinced that it's the front brakes since I just had them replaced and it didn't do that before, and it only pulls when braking. My guess is that either the right brake is sticking or the left isn't grabbing enough, but why? The rotors/pads are NAPA brand. Any ideas?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If the left rear brake is grabbing it will pull the back of the truck left and feel like the front is going to the right. Strange as it sounds, check out the rear brakes if nothing is found wrong with the front brake installation.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Phil Starr

Default Jerking steering wheel

But would that cause the steering wheel to make a slight jerk to the right? If I cruise really slow, almost at a stop, then hit the brake and let up, you can see the steering wheel turn to the right, then straighten back up when I let off, like that's part of the braking action. I would guess the steering wheel doesn't move 1/4 inch. And at that speed, I really can't feel the truck pulling - just the wheel reacting with the brake pedal. I'll have him check the rear too just to be safe. But there seems to be a direct connection to the brake pedal and steering wheel.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM

You should of installed the brakes yourself. It's pretty easy and plus you know its done right. Screw the rear brakes that ain't the problem. It's the front right. Make sure they installed new rotors. Because if they both ain't the same then it will pull to whatever side is different. Also, its a good idea to bleed them to get rid of that old dirty fluid in your master cylinder. Alot of people I talked to don't open the bleeder valve and do this. They take the short cut. Which is stupid. Get yourself a shop manual on your truck if you don't know what your doing. It could be your caliper also. If it is get a rebuilt. Preferably not from napa. They are aways the highest in price. Just speaking from past experience.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckandWalleyeguy
You should of installed the brakes yourself. It's pretty easy and plus you know its done right. Screw the rear brakes that ain't the problem. It's the front right. Make sure they installed new rotors. Because if they both ain't the same then it will pull to whatever side is different. Also, its a good idea to bleed them to get rid of that old dirty fluid in your master cylinder. Alot of people I talked to don't open the bleeder valve and do this. They take the short cut. Which is stupid. Get yourself a shop manual on your truck if you don't know what your doing. It could be your caliper also. If it is get a rebuilt. Preferably not from napa. They are aways the highest in price. Just speaking from past experience.
I agree with Buck that it is most likely the front brakes have been installed incorrectly but would like to point out that bill is a former mechanic and a fixture on this board so I wouldn't discount his advice either. Have someone that you trust check the entire system - but before that check your tire pressures on the front tires sometimes its that simple
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Sorry Bill I'm not trying to act like a know it all. Did't know you were a mechanic.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

2000xl Toronto, I've been called a lot of things in my life, but a fixture?

BuckandWalleyeguy, not to worry no offense taken. Been down to many wrong roads before and am still learning not to be blindfolded, keep am open mind and options open. Tell me, a fixture, is that like a relic?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Phil Starr

Default Steering wheel jerks...

Hi again folks,
Took the truck back to the guy today. He couldn't come up with a reason for the slight right-pull and steering jerk. He cleaned-up and checked-out the calipers when he did the brakes because I told him to let me know if I needed new ones, and he said they were working fine. He jacked it up and shook each front wheel and determined that I had some wear in my idler arm(s), etc., and figured that play from the wear was showing up by the pulling/jerking. It's not that bad; at times barely or not evident. I have to be barely moving and press the pedal fairly firmly to really see the wheel move and feel the slight tug. But I'm the kind of guy who looks for any tiny glitches after that kind of work. I don't think it was doing that before the brake job, but I wasn't really looking for it then. It's so slight I may not have noticed it before, but now I'm tuned into anything brake-wise or tire-wise at this point. The mechanic is a real nice guy, and he didn't charge me much at all to do the work, so I figure he truly believes the front-end play is the culprit.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

it's still a puzzler if you ever figure it out I'd like to know.

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
2000xl Toronto, I've been called a lot of things in my life, but a fixture?
Sorry Bill - LOL - not trying to date you just imply that you've got a wealth of experience! Certainly not a relic!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel jerks when braking