Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

starts but wont idle or idle rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
kuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starts but wont idle or idle rough

hey guys im new to the forum. i just bought a 98 f150 with the 5.4l 4x4 xlt. i had to change the powersteering pressure line so i thought i would put new belt on and put in new plugs, after all said and done i went to turn the truck over and she wouldnt idle i even ran her for a while workin the gas pedal to get a engine check light so i can maybe get a code reader and see whats up. the engine check light wouldnt go on, i put bosch plugs in her and pluged everything back in, went to show my buddy the problem next thing you know a layer off the edge of my new belt comes off! and i know i got the powersteering pully back on, i tryed the installed 6 times after that and she wouldnt go back on anymore than what she was, i know big mess! but if you could help me out with some suggestions that would be great.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuz
hey guys im new to the forum. i just bought a 98 f150 with the 5.4l 4x4 xlt. i had to change the powersteering pressure line so i thought i would put new belt on and put in new plugs, after all said and done i went to turn the truck over and she wouldnt idle i even ran her for a while workin the gas pedal to get a engine check light so i can maybe get a code reader and see whats up. the engine check light wouldnt go on, i put bosch plugs in her and pluged everything back in, went to show my buddy the problem next thing you know a layer off the edge of my new belt comes off! and i know i got the powersteering pully back on, i tryed the installed 6 times after that and she wouldnt go back on anymore than what she was, i know big mess! but if you could help me out with some suggestions that would be great.
did u gap the new plugs to specs? try cleaning ur iac. hope this helps?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM
kuz

i checked the gap on the plugs and they were already gaped to spec, and the iac?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 AM

for the rough idle ur iac could be dirty.it is one of the most common problems.very easy to fix iac( idle air control valve). try useing some carb cleaner if that dont work replace it.i just replaced the one in my truck.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 AM
kuz

so just shot some carb cleaner threw it?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by kuz
so just shot some carb cleaner threw it?
take it off clean it spray in the throttle body.but most of the time its just better to replace it. take u 2 mins
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 AM
kuz

ok ill check that tommorow, thanks guys
Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have a code scanner to make sure that the engine is in closed-loop. You will not get a code until it is in closed-loop. Until then the engine runs on set parameters and all sensors are ignored. You may want to check your O2 sensors. My van ran rough once w/o setting a code and it was one of the O2 sensors. Just a thought. The O2 sensor needs to get to 600 degrees to go into closed loop.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 AM
kuz

i hate to let you guys down but i gave up on her and brought the truck to ford were my cousin is a mechanic there and he can find the problem out and hopefully i can learn what it was and for the future, thank you for your support guys and hoping to be asking you guys question again or help you share my knowledge. thank you!

Quick Reply: starts but wont idle or idle rough