Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Starter/flexplate issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/flexplate issues

Hey folks,

I am new to this forum and with little introduction, I'll get right into it. I'm not much of a mechanic, but my Ford sure is forcing me to learn. I went to go start it two days ago and a grinding noise could be heard from the starter region of the truck. For the last two months, the truck has started off and on and failed to start for various reasons including loose battery cables, the gear not being fully in Park, etc. So far, I have replaced the starter relay fuse, solenoid, all six spark plugs, and battery ends. What I am trying to definitely diagnose is whether or not it is the starter or if it has origins in the flywheel. I had previously been jump starting the solenoid to get it to start. I am prepared to buy a new starter and some battery cables (the battery cables are frayed and expose wires, hence the reason for replacement) I have a 1997 Ford F150 XL with a V6 4.2 liter engine. Is there anybody who can help me fully diagnose this problem. What would cause a grinding noise in the starter region and failure to start? Also, I can spark the solenoid without the key even being in the ignition, if that helps anyone to diagnose.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:49 PM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Have you changed the solenoid relay that's on the firewall, that solved a long standing problem with mine
Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 PM

Default Starter/Flex plate issues

Not sure what you mean by solenoid relay. I changed the ignition relay fuse, the starter solenoid which is near the battery and I am about to change the starter and battery cables on Thursday. When I try to start it, it just makes a grinding noise. Trying to eliminate possibilities before dropping cash on a starter.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:49 AM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

This gave me fits trying to figure out my problem for literally years
Attached Thumbnails Starter/flexplate issues-photo53.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Starter/Flexplate issues

The picture I see is what I call the solenoid or starter solenoid, it was one of the first things I changed out after the relay fuse. The solenoid is also what I have had to jump start by crossing the connection to get it to start. From my research, I am leaning towards the starter and loose battery cables.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4wolf
This gave me fits trying to figure out my problem for literally years
I believe he already changed that. Once in a while my 5.4 will screech when I try to start it too. Sounds like some one hitting the ignition when the engine is already running. I believe it's just missing a couple teeth on the flex plate because I took the starter off and it looked fine and tested fine.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:18 AM

Default Starter Flex Plate issues

Hey shooter, the problem isn't when I get it started, I cannot get it started at all right now. When I turn the key in the ignition, it sounds like it is trying to turn over but all I hear is a grinding noise. It will not start. I am leaning towards the starter as that is where the noise originates. The starter was rebuilt about a month ago so not sure why it would be crapping out. If I am not mistaken, to change out the flex plate on my particular model requires the removal of the engine, but again I am a Youtube mechanic. What I am hoping is that changing the starter and battery cables fixes the problem. At this point, the starter has not been purchased and trying to diagnose and rule out any other possibility before buying the starter.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Remove the starter. Check if the starter can turn freely in one direction. Inspect wear on the starter drive gears and flex plate.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

OP the grinding noise you are hearing is that maybe the starter drive turning but not shooting out to engage the flywheel. Just a thought. Pull starter and have it tested.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

It's probably the part that engages and disengages the starter gear being stuck. It sounds like it might be stuck so it just barely makes contact. I would just replace starter

Quick Reply: Starter/flexplate issues