Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Stainless brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless brake lines

I have a 99 4WD rear drum F150 and it sees a lot of water towing jetskis and boats. My brake lines are rusting out (along with a lot of other things under my truck) and I want to replace ALL the lines in preferably stainless steel. Is there such a kit? I tried searching but doesn't seem like there is one? Just want to be sure. What can I do to replace the hard lines? Just get new ones from the dealer or auto parts store? I am surprised no one makes a SS hard line. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stainless brake lines are everywhere.
Here is one example of a site.
http://www.classictube.com/
It is easier to find and order on line.
Google stainless brake lines.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Believe me, I've been googling! Been to that site, they are only showing F250/F350 for kits. I am looking for a complete bolt up kit to replace all my lines, not make my own or piece together lines from different places. There has to be a place that sells the whole stainless kit. Also I have rear drums, 4WD and 10.25 rear.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM

If you want pre-bent bolt-on's I'm afraid you are going to have to fabricate the lines since the truck is older and there are so many versions.
It's really easy and cheaper than pre-bent to fabricate. I had to make brake lines for an old classic British sports car I was restoring. All you do is remove a line and bend the new line exactly the same as the old one using a tubing bender. I would go with aluminum since it bends and flares easier and doesn't rust, but stainless works fine too.
You could always just do one line and see how you like the result.
The flaring tool makes a prefect factory flare so no worries about that.
In a pinch you could replace with OEM lines, and paint the corrosion prone ones with epoxy paint before installing. That will delay any corrosion longer than you will probably need, and I would bet most of that rust is from salt on the roads at some time in the life of the truck, not water related - fresh or salt.

Last edited by pickupsrule; 09-22-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lighten up Take a chill pill, lower yer blood pressure!

I got my question answered by a Ford mechanic at the dealer where I bought my truck. "pickupsrule" you are one thin skinned dude. I did not use any profanity, nothing of the sort. And you respond with I blocked you! And sorry I did not snap to attention? WTF? Man grow up. If you don't want to answer someone's question then don't type, just move on! But since this is a public board you don't need to get all pissy. What ya want me to polish your wrenchs or something, or bow down like your Paul Senior and kiss your all knowing butt? Check your inflated ego at the door. And I love my truck too, but I sure don't love somme gomba giving me lip when I asks questions. Geeshh.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM

pickupsrule, thanks, looks like I am stuck making my own. Where is the best place to buy the tubing (what size is it?) and the tools needed (bender and flare)? Thanks.

rm56, wrong thread? Might want to take that to PMs.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

I wouldnt use stainless tubing as it will crack when trying to flare it. I would a high grade replacement brake line then coat them with a heat and corrosion resistant paint.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM

What about aluminum tubing? I have plently of POR-15 I could coat the lines with. My lines now aren't rusted out, yet, but I'd imagine in the near future I will have problems. Does anyone know what the fitting on the rear end is for where it separates the line to the two rear drums? Mine has a nipple on the top where the hose came off, just looks like a vent? It was leaking, I am worried that will need to be replaced but its part of the rear itself. I'm half tempted to just sell this truck and get a diesel, shame as it only has 71k miles on it.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
I wouldnt use stainless tubing as it will crack when trying to flare it. I would a high grade replacement brake line then coat them with a heat and corrosion resistant paint.
I agree, stainless is hard to work with and not really needed.
They sell steel brake line now that is coated with some type of PVF stuff to prevent corrosion. I also warn against brake line made in China, instead buy US made lines (Ahem, they call it "domestic" LOL). Double wall tubing is not a bad idea either but it costs a little more.
I would just get the brake lines, and flare tool, for the best price locally.
I don't think there would be a huge price difference and you could see the line before buying it. Some brake lines come pre-sized and already flared with the fitting on both ends, provided you can find the correct length for your truck. You will need to measure your brake lines for length to be sure. Using a string to follow the line and then measuring the string will make sure you don't short yourself due to the curves etc.
On-line, most brake lines and fittings you order come with the flaring tool, but the tool doesn't cost much.
I'm not sure about the bends for the truck but a low cost tubing bender from Lowes should work OK or they may have a low cost one at the parts place.
Not sure about the size, I would just match what you have by pulling the easiest brake line if you have another vehicle to drive. Otherwise, you could drop in the Ford dealership, ask about brake line pricing for your truck and say " By the way, what size is that?".
I THINK this is the part (one example) it is $23.00 for 25 feet.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2037____

Last edited by pickupsrule; 09-23-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM

You can go here to get retail price and part number on Ford replacements.
Probably a good idea to check here first.
Looks like about 45.00. Might be worth it to get the Ford parts.
http://www.fordparts.com/?searchid=426441|32059712|210362250

Last edited by pickupsrule; 09-23-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Stainless brake lines