Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Spun pinion bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spun pinion bearing??

I am replacing all of the bearings wheel-to-wheel in the rear end of my truck. I noticed while disassembling that the pinion gear required very little "encouragement" to come out. So once I pulled it out and pulled the seal I noticed that the outer pinion bearings slide on and off of the pinion gear very easily. I could slide them on with two fingers and if I turn the gear upside down the bearings will actually slide off just from gravity. I have never worked on Ford stuff before but I don't think this is normal. Any help? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Best repair is to replace the ring and pinion. First alternative is to use the red lock-tight to the bearing area. Second alternative is to shot peen the area being careful to peen the area equally on all sides. If you know of a machine shop have them install a light knurl to the area.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When reassembling, the yoke and nut should press the outer bearing onto the pinion's tail, right? And that should be a tight fit I think. I'll order a new set of gears. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Spun pinion bearing??