Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 1997 - 2003 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Speaker question

I plan on changing all interior speakers and changing my head unit to a kenwood. I was also thinking about doing subs. Maybe 10s or 12s? What do you guys think? Then another question is, Would i need to make a custom box for them? Thanks for the help.
Robert
f150driver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150driver44
I plan on changing all interior speakers and changing my head unit to a kenwood. I was also thinking about doing subs. Maybe 10s or 12s? What do you guys think? Then another question is, Would i need to make a custom box for them? Thanks for the help.
Robert
Bump
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

It depends I know for a super cab they make a box for shallow tens to fit under the back seat and super crew sound makes boxes for super crews not sure on size I wanna put tens under my backseat of my super cab but can't shallow enough speakers that I like
biglee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

They make boxes that fit two 10's and go under the backseat of a supercab. Most of those boxes require shallow mount subs. I reccomend pioneer shallow mount subs. As far as a head unit are you looking for a single or double DIN. Doubles require some trimming and makes it tough to switch back to a factory head unit. Single DIN units fit right in with the use of a kit. These kits are included with the head unit from places like crutchfield or sonicelectronix.
lnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewell
They make boxes that fit two 10's and go under the backseat of a supercab. Most of those boxes require shallow mount subs. I reccomend pioneer shallow mount subs. As far as a head unit are you looking for a single or double DIN. Doubles require some trimming and makes it tough to switch back to a factory head unit. Single DIN units fit right in with the use of a kit. These kits are included with the head unit from places like crutchfield or sonicelectronix.
Okay, I found a box yesterday that will fit a supercab. And I am going with a single. Don't need the double DIN. I have a Single Sony xploid in there right now and it's just been going down hill. That why I want to replace it.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

Try to think of some of the features you want in the headunit. I wanted front and rear USB, and Bluetooth built in. The rear USB cable I ran up into the pocket in the dash adapter so I can plug my phone in and leave it in the pocket, and still have the front USB for anything else. I also wanted Bluetooth for hands free calling and music streaming. I was never a big fan of JVC but they had a headunit that had all of the options I wanted for $140 from crutchfield, so that's the one I got and so far so good. As far as speakers sonicelectronix has better prices than crutchfield.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewell
Try to think of some of the features you want in the headunit. I wanted front and rear USB, and Bluetooth built in. The rear USB cable I ran up into the pocket in the dash adapter so I can plug my phone in and leave it in the pocket, and still have the front USB for anything else. I also wanted Bluetooth for hands free calling and music streaming. I was never a big fan of JVC but they had a headunit that had all of the options I wanted for $140 from crutchfield, so that's the one I got and so far so good. As far as speakers sonicelectronix has better prices than crutchfield.
I was looking at this kenwood and what about an amp for 2 12s. What would I need for the pioneer shallow mount subs?
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker question-image-3583933269.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

As long as the rms wattage of the amp is close to the rms wattage of the speakers you'll be fine. When pricing amps class d amps don't require as much power as standard class ab amps. They usually cost a little more but put less strain on your electrical system, run cooler, and don't require as low a gauge wire.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 PM