Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Spark plug socket wont fit plug

Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug socket wont fit plug

Any help on why my spark plug socket won't fit over the plug?? I put new plugs in a couple of weeks back, then started to get a p0303 code, so replaced the cop. Worked ok for awhile and then threw the same code. Was into it Sturday and couldn't get the plug socket to go down far enough to grab the plug. Looked in there and looks kinda brownish, but no idea what the issue might. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

im not sure if your spark plugs are 9/16 or 5/8, but sometimes you need a larger tool to access the spark plug like this one. i used this one to be able to reach mines.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Default spark plug socket

Thanks for the note. To be absolutely sure, I pulled another plug just see if I had any problem there. NO problem with it. This situation is like something like dirt or crud is packed down near the base of the plug and this just won't go down far enough........I"ve been piddling with cars for years, but never had anything quite like this.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe you can fill it with pb blaster or something similar, then after let it soak for a while, vacuum all the liquid then try again. maybe to much dielectric grease in the boot and dirt caused that
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Stick a magnet down in there and see if it comes up with anything?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

or use an air hose and blow it out!
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (07-29-2021)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the end of a coat hanger to circle around the plug to see what I can manage to pull out of the area. I have had that before. Most likely it is rust and corrosion where water has puddled for a long time for some reason or some trash of some type fell down into the hole at one time.
One time I did not have compressed air and used garden hose on full with a sprayer aimed into the hole to blow out the crud. I then ran the engine and boiled off the water before removing the plug. Either way you will need to "probe" the area to see what is blocking the tool.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Socket Not Catching Spark Plug

I have the same problem. Pulled out all the 7 spark plugs but the same socket will not catch on one of the spark plugs. I though it has dirt or what not so I tried to vacuum deby in the well, out but nothing has helped. I tried picking inside the well and still , the socket will not catch the spark plug. Let me know how you to it..thank you.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Those spark plug sockets can collect a lot of dirt, oil and grease and cause you misfire problems like you are experiencing. It is real good maintenance to clean them out when you replace spark plugs as the plugs will not seat properly with the crude down in the socket. You can use a plumbers wire brush, rags, and WD40 to clean out the hole. You should also check to make sure you are not leaking oil real bad around the valve cover gaskets. If it is not leaking real bad, sometimes you can snug down the bolts on the valve covers to keep them from leaking. When you mix the oil with dirt, leaves, and other debris that gets in your engine compartment, you end up with a mess down in your plug sockets. Most likely the dirt compacted around the plug when you put in the new plugs and prevents you spark plug socket from grabbing the plug.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok if the COP boot is installed properly it should not allow junk down there. It may be a left over rubber cup from a spark plug socket keeping your socket from sliding over the plug. A dentist pick will help in removing it. You could also try using a spark plug socket with the rubber cup removed.
The following users liked this post:
Blondie70 (07-29-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug socket wont fit plug