Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Spare Tire Hoist

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Hoist

I recently bought my first pickup, 2000 5.4 Lariat. I think I'm gonna get a lot of good years out of it. My problem is that the cable for the spare tire appears to be snapped. My only option is to buy a new hoist setup, right? I've searched the internet trying to find one and can't come up with anything. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could find a new hoist assembly.

Last edited by Leviathan; 04-24-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM

It will be better if you will buy it from some dealer.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM

i know its been a while since your original posts, but did you ever figure out the hoist situation? i was lucky enough to come across a good one at a scrap yard for much less than the dealers were suggesting.

also, were you able to find anything to protect the new hoist/tire? ive been looking for something to protect mine from being stolen again. its frustrating how easy it is to take them...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 AM

I've just let my spare sit in the bed since then. I'm currently up at college right now and am trying to look for some salvage yards. I went to the dealer and they told me it would be $90 plus shipping, so I'm going to try everything else before doing that. I'd still like to ask the previous owner of my pickup if the cable just snapped going down the road or if someone cut it. I've almost considered drilling a few holes and trying to bolt it in the same spot where the hoist was, even though it'd be a pain when I actually have to get it back off.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM

If you cable is broken and it is still long enough to let the tire down go to the hardware store and buy a wire rope clamp. It worked for me. The dead end of the cable goes to the nut side.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Hoist