Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Should I trade? Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade? Part II

Okay so a while back I posted asking if I should trade my truck for a mustang. Regardless, that didn't work out.

But NOW, I've been looking for something good on gas that will be fun and reliable.

My truck is a 1999 F-150 XLT 4.6 V8 Auto with 169,000 miles on it. New wheels and tires. Has some issues. Has the disappearing odo, dent on the hood, dented inside tailgate, and some front driver fender damage. Also needs power lock actuators.

The trade that I am considering now is a 1994 Acura Integra that has 172,000 miles on the body, but has had a motor swap to a B20. The motor only has ~80,000 miles on it. 5-speed LS transmission. Stage 2 clutch. Car has aftermarket rims and 4 new tires. Has new paint job.

Consider this: I do not need a truck. I do not off-road and I do not haul anything. Hell, I don't even haul people. It's usually just me and my girlfriend. So, keep in mind to try not to base your answer on the bias towards trucks.

Just wanting to know if it sounds like a good trade. Does it? Why or why not?
Attached Thumbnails Should I trade?  Part II-2012-10-02_18-59-41_805.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Triton

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You looking for a straight trade or you got cash you can work with? Basically im asking why are you leaning towards older model cars? If you dont need the truck why not trade it in for a newer car?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Man, I wish I could just sell/trade the truck in and get a newer car at this time. But, I'm finishing up college and I don't want to be making payments on a car while I'm trying to buy a house because that could cause me to be turned down for a more expensive house.

So, yes, I am looking for a straight trade. I have nearly no cash whatsoever. This guy IS going to give me the money to get a new windshield (cracked on passenger side) along with the car, assuming we do trade.

But, early to mid 90s cars like the 300ZX and Integras seem to really hold their value nicely. The car itself has barely more miles than my truck and the B20 only has ~80K.

I have looked at some early 00s model Volkswagens and Mustangs, but with the damage on my truck and the power lock issue, no one has been willing to do a straight trade, which I can't really blame them..

But I really like the look of the Integra. I've heard they are reliable and quick AND get ~30MPG (compared to 15 for my truck).
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM

more engine mods more problems. if your looking for reliabilty i wouldnt get something with an aftermarket motor. If you want something good on gas, reliable, and will get you to point A to B go with very little problems get a late 90s early 2000 honda civic. they are amazing on gas and just about bulletproof. dont mod it just keep it as is. just my 2 cents

And how much you wanna make a bet that intergra with that engine aint getting 30mpg lolllllllllll who told you that?

Last edited by GLL40; 10-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

95 civic I picked up as a hoopdee...

couldn't resist and ended up dropping around 35 grand in it between all the different pain jobs and suspension and interior and wheel/tire combos.. so be careful with that integra cuz to me it looks like a headache and when they did the b20 swap they probably hacked up the harness so it will have underlying problems

keep the truck man even if you don't haul anything as soon as you trade it you'll need it. if anything buy a hoopdee straight cash and park the truck
Attached Thumbnails Should I trade?  Part II-image-1974252596.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GLL40 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM

GLL40, I really don't believe that more mods means more problems. But the engine isn't really modded anyway. It's a stock motor out of a Honda CRX.. And with that motor with the LS transmission, it would get 28-30 MPG... Educate yourself.

Tugs90, yeeeeeah.. my main concern is not knowing if the swap was done correctly. I'm not gunna drop tons of money into changing the car around. I would just drive it how it is. Like I said, my MAIN concern is not knowing who did the swap and if it was done correctly. What do you mean by "hacked up the harness" though? Why would they have to do that? If the swap was done professionally, then would it be worth the trade?

Also, I'm worried that I'm about to have to dump a ton of cash into the truck. The power steering pump is screaming at me, the transmission is super rough from 3rd to 4th and back down to 3rd. And the whole truck shakes when braking, even though I've had the rotors turned and new pads.

Either way.. some money will be spent. Just a hard decision for me..

And also, remember that I'm a college student. I barely have enough money for gas, much less to buy a separate car.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 90's honda civic or accord i got 2 buddies back in minnesota with 90's accords they get great mileage and you can beat the snot out of them all day everyday and they wont fail you
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pflan
GLL40, I really don't believe that more mods means more problems. But the engine isn't really modded anyway. It's a stock motor out of a Honda CRX.. And with that motor with the LS transmission, it would get 28-30 MPG... Educate yourself.

Tugs90, yeeeeeah.. my main concern is not knowing if the swap was done correctly. I'm not gunna drop tons of money into changing the car around. I would just drive it how it is. Like I said, my MAIN concern is not knowing who did the swap and if it was done correctly. What do you mean by "hacked up the harness" though? Why would they have to do that? If the swap was done professionally, then would it be worth the trade?

Also, I'm worried that I'm about to have to dump a ton of cash into the truck. The power steering pump is screaming at me, the transmission is super rough from 3rd to 4th and back down to 3rd. And the whole truck shakes when braking, even though I've had the rotors turned and new pads.

Either way.. some money will be spent. Just a hard decision for me..

And also, remember that I'm a college student. I barely have enough money for gas, much less to buy a separate car.

Thanks guys.
most people with the JDM fever don't have motors and tranny swaps done by a professional it usually backyard stuff that gets the job done. I have a lot of time and experience with Honda I'm also a master tech for Honda.

if they hacked up that harness you better make sure all the lights work and the tranny mounts line up and a heck of a lot more. or you'll be putting a lot more money into thAt Acura than into a brake job on the truck
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

If your wanting reliable than dont go to a 94 thats for sure. Especially with an aftermarket motor like the other guy above said. I wouldnt trade for anything less than a 98 mabey 99. Imo.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by tugs90
most people with the JDM fever don't have motors and tranny swaps done by a professional it usually backyard stuff that gets the job done. I have a lot of time and experience with Honda I'm also a master tech for Honda.

if they hacked up that harness you better make sure all the lights work and the tranny mounts line up and a heck of a lot more. or you'll be putting a lot more money into thAt Acura than into a brake job on the truck

Think you could send me a list of things to check to see if it's been done right? The guy said it was installed professionally in Atlanta.

And to the guy that said to get something 98, 99 or newer.. No one wants to trade a newer vehicle for a beat up F-150 with 170,000 miles on it. That's why I've been looking towards early to mid 90s cars that are in decent shape with same amount of mileage.

Quick Reply: Should I trade? Part II