Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Should I remove the auto graphics from a 1998 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I remove the auto graphics from a 1998 F150?

I've done enough poking around to understand how this should be attempted but I'm more interested in asking you guys if I should. ...

I have one of those original 'splash type' body graphics on my 1998 F150 and, well, I think it looks pretty gay. I would like it removed but my concern in that because it's been there so long the paint is going to show some fade and I'll regret even trying to take it off. The paint IS mint however.

Should I take it off and try some 3m adhesive remover or leave it.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:10 PM

Removing it would be easy. If you do, I would buff and wax it. That way you won't have to worry about faded paint showing. It would look brand new
Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used every polish, compound, and wax there is and the absolute best for a first step is Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I got it at the auto parts place for about $ 8.95 and it goes a long way.
That stuff will cut the old paint and grime like sandpaper but leave the finish super shiny and undamaged. It is safe for clearcoats and does not scratch. I don't know how it works, but trust me it REALLY works.
I have never seen anything like it. I had some issues on my 1997 F 150 and I cleaned them up using it. I noticed the areas around where I had done the work looked great so I did the whole truck. The truck looks like it was just painted. I finished with a top coat of polymer wax stuff.
Use that ultimate compound and I doubt you will see where the old graphics were and your truck will look like it was repainted everywhere else after you do the whole truck.
I don't promote particular products but in this case I will make an exception.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM

Awesome, appreciate the insight, I now have my Sunday project!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Okay, I feel like a bit of a moron for even having posted about the sticker coming off, I just figured it would be all dried out after being on there for 12 years.

I went like this...

1) Parked truck in sun, peeled sticker off left side with nails and plastic scraper (no hairdryer).
2) Turned truck around, let right side sit in sun for 20 minutes, peeled sticker off with nails and plastic scraper (no hairdryer).

Total time 30 minutes , guess my truck wanted them gone more than I did!

I bought the McGuiares and it worked perfectly, used a large foam sponge and a old t-shirt. It also worked well on my tonneau cover. Thanks for the suggestion pickupsrule!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Pictures!!!!

Quick Reply: Should I remove the auto graphics from a 1998 F150?